Existing Member?

Fear and Loathing in Europa

Day one, in three parts

CANADA | Saturday, 15 September 2012 | Views [447]

SEPTEMBER 8 2012

So my bags are checked and I'm through airport security. Im sitting in the terminal and the predominant thought that keeps running through my internal dialogue is “what in \gods name are you doing. I'm terrified but that is exactly what \i was hoping for. \this whole trip is mainly about pushing back the boundaries of my comfort zone. I will do my best to document my experiences. I can only document what I can recall so I apologize if the Jameson's amnesia strikes me at some point. So far there isn't too many images worthy of description. I'm absurdly early so the terminal is still relatively sparse. The median age for this flight appears to be 67. I'm still debating whether \i should have a preflight cocktail or let my liver enjoy the lack of toxicity for another 24 hours. On the plus side I've never seen a congregation of so many redheads in one place before as in this terminal. Its eerily remniscent of the Weasly family scenes from Harry Potter. Although it'd be a shame to put an end to this poetic first entry I feel that I should leave room for more stirring details than airport articulation.


Part 2

I made it to Dublin and I'm currently running on fumes. Its 9am here but technically 3am in regular time. I shall resist this absurd time zone until \I acclimatize. Until then its irregular and irritating that people are waking up and starting their day. My cab driver \john was a funny guy. Think of an Irish stereotype and you've got him nailed. Quick talking, cursing, driving. Not drunk though shockingly enough. I'm putting that myth to rest until I acquire more evidence. I plan on obtaining this evidence later today at 3. Its an all Irish final for hurling (I will explain the rules of hurling as soon as I know) and I plan on being in the rowdiest bar available at that time. This is a promise I make to myself assuming my body/ consciousness holds out that long. My next entry will be drunken or not at all. This much I promise you, loyal reader.


Part 3

So this has turned into quite the long day. Already I've explored the Guiness brewery, walked aimlessly through both the tourist suburbs and the seedy parts of town. But perhaps the most memorable experience of today had to be watching the all Ireland final at a local pub. I had no idea what was happening throughout the game. It apparently ended in a tie, which means a “replay” on the 30th . What was most remarkable was the spirit of the Irish in the bar. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that it was comparable to Vancouver 2010 for Canadians. The most striking feature of the people I've come into contact with is their genuine nature. There's something akin to earnestness I get from their eyes. I feel like they don\t take life as seriously as North Americans either. Theres a sense of being carefree. Now this is a quick judgement to make less than 24 hours into being here but I'll stick to that judgement until it proves false. This nation makes me feel a preternatural nostalgia. Just knowing that I have blood ties here makes me feel connected to foreign architecture. I can see anamorphic shapes of long lost relatives stalking the same streets separated by time. Goddamn I'm a romantic aren't I? Until tomorrow (barring a late night drunken entry).


About serious


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.