Existing Member?

The Paris I Explored

Beat Your Fears by Travels!

FRANCE | Monday, 18 May 2015 | Views [176] | Scholarship Entry

I was selected to take a study period as exchange student at a Parisian University which was the INALCO. That was a chance for me to explore deep France. I was going to perfect my French by native French speakers as I was dreaming. But When I arrived to France there was a cultural shock that I found. That was the first time for me being long time duration in France which I was dreaming differently than I concretely found. I had a fright for some possible look down derived from incorrect using of French language. For instances when I went to shopping, visited somwehere, consulting for an address or having conversation with French students I was doing so many mistakes and could not understand very well in French. I did not get any success what I tried so, I could not get over my fear to speak French independently in daily life. One day my professor at my home university asked me for a very special book as an antiquity which could only be found in big institutions of France. So I commenced to search for this historical book which was about the history of Egypt in the late period of 19th Century. The book was a diary of a doctor. Not to waste time more, I went to Library François Mitterrand and I was registered to the library and then asked to the specialists how could I take a step? As far I as I remembered that there were intervals I have visited there and Sorbonne Nouvelle’s library as well. But there was no positive answer. After then St Genevieve. That was the place which was not meaning of find a book, the place where I had overcame my fear of inability to speak French language. Eventually I had understood that the first rule is not to mind anything else. Just start and try . During my negotiation to get the book, there were a lot of friendly conversation between me and specialists and also paper works. I had learned the using rules and tools of French libraries and conducting people. Also I had learned the cultural atmosphere of student life at libraries. First rule was to be sincerity and be friendly with the host culture and be courageous as self-confidence to achieve something. There should be a main desire to do something really worthy before learning French. At the time for me, giving help to my professor through finding a really original and necessary book came to fore rather than speak French. And by the way I could enter a spectacle which was the representation of intellectual France and helped to prove my self-confident to speak French...

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About serhats


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.