Existing Member?

Five Senses on the Road

Do’s and Don’ts in BRAZIL

BRAZIL | Friday, 19 August 2011 | Views [4003]

Brazil. When you think about my country, probably your first thoughts are about soccer, Carnival and beautiful women. Well… Here you’ll find them, sure. But Brazil is much more than just stereotypes, believe me.

From North to South you can discover so different landscapes, cultures, food, music, weather, accents, faces… But our language, Portuguese, unifies us. We are the same people, apart regional differences. Some people warmer than others, but each of us love to receive our guests and show up our country.

That’s why, one of the “DOS” in Brazil is to visit as many regions as possible. You should visit the most famous places, like Rio de Janeiro (RJ) and Iguaçu Falls (PR) – but make an effort to expand your itinerary.

You need to plan carefully your destination. Imagine, Brazil has 8.514.876 km², while Europe has 10 498 000 km² - if you don’t have a plan, you can spend infinite time exploring this country.

Brazil doesn’t have train rails like Europe, so your transport will be buses and planes – you can rent a car eventually. Or you can use a travel agency to plan everything for you – but then the experience won’t be so authentic (some references below, just to help you).

So, in my list, I would include the following destinations in Brazil:

Rio de Janeiro (RJ); Paraty (RJ); Ouro Preto (MG); Mariana (MG); Tiradentes (MG); Belo Horizonte (MG); São Paulo (SP); Cataratas do Iguaçú (PR); Florianópolis (SC); Gramado (RS); Canela (RS); Bonito (MS); Chapada dos Veadeiros (GO); Pantanal (MG); Porto Seguro (BA); Chapada Diamantina (BA); Jalapão (TO); Manaus (AM) Belém (PA); Lençóis Maranhenses (MA); Fortaleza and (specially) around (CE); Fernando de Noronha (PE)...

Such long list (even being a compacted version)… and lots of kilometres separating each one of those destinations. So, DO IT: research on internet what you will find in each one, and decide for those that matches better with your style. Don’t forget that there are lots of other destinations very interesting. So, make your own research and have fun!

Also, make friends in Brazil! DO IT! They will help you to plan your trip and have an experience more authentic. 

About DONT’S in Brazil…

Don’t forget to use sunscreen, specially if your skin is white… “Gringos” (foreigners) who are so white with pink marks along their bodies are pretty funny – and you will suffer with the pain. Sun is powerful here!

Don’t forget to go to a Barbecue Restaurant. The amount and quality of meat served will surprise and amaze you :-)

Don’t ask a Brazilian if our capital is Buenos Aires, pleaaaaseee. Just to make sure you know the right answer, Brazil’s Capital is BRASILIA, in the very middle of our country. Buenos Aires is Capital of our neighbour Argentina (if you have time, it would be nice to visit them as well….) – don’t forget that even being a nice people, when the subject is soccer, Argentineans are our enemy! So if for some reason you think Maradona is better than Pelé, DON'T say it out loud. Just an advice ;-) 

*********************

So, trustful and cheap Brazilian airlines to help you:

GOL: http://www.voegol.com.br/int/Paginas/home.aspx

AZUL: http://viajemais.voeazul.com.br/

About busses, in each bus station you will find information available – but if you come during high season, be careful: buy your tickets few days before, otherwhise you´ll spend your precious time waiting for hours for the next bus.

Rent a car with Localiza (I trust them, and they are present all over the country): http://www.localiza.com/Reservas/Default.aspx

One travel agency to recommend is CVC, quite big and a little bit impessoal: at least they take you to your destination for a price ok, including hotel.

Tags: #blogyourbackyard, brazil

 

About serendipitously

Rüstem Pasa Camii (Mosque)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.