Existing Member?

An unexpected journeys

What happens in Estonia, stays in Estonia

ESTONIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [139] | Scholarship Entry

How the hell I ended up naked and bruised, freshly engaged in front of the frozen lake in the middle of nowhere on -35C?!
Well, everything started with a phone call some 9 days earlier. Friend called and offered me a trip to a project to this mysterious frozen country with a 1 day notice. After initiate surprise I started thinking. Next logical step was to google it. Few minutes into search and I got general idea what to expect from this, 700km away, Baltic country: 80% of forest, 99% WI-Fi coverage (a confirmed fact if it is to believe locals and Wikipedia) and 120% of snowing. My final answer was yes, why not, what else I am going to do at home for 9 days anyway? My only comfort even if I am rushing into unknown was the fact that at least they invented Skype, but how that affected my decision I don’t know till this day.
For the first part of my prologue, it is pretty clear how I ended up in Estonia, as I explained. We were situated deep in the countryside, in the beautiful bungalow with a breathtaking view of surrounding nature. Journey to this place reveled a whole new world chained in ice. After 6 hours in the bus from Tallinn to my destination I realized that there is probably no country in the world that did better job in describing its landscape with national flag than Estonia. Blue color on the top is for the clear sky above, black in the middle for sleepy forest in the winter and white in the bottom for snow covering ground. Oh, how much snow, they probably can export it.
As for the part of me being naked, that is not even so hard to explain actually. On one of our last night’s we had a pleasure to experience Estonian sauna. It is custom, even if sounds crazy, to go after boiling on +90C to cool down into the snow. As any normal person, at first I refused because heart attack wasn’t on my wish list when I went there, but after 10min inside the sauna room and with a feeling that my face is melting, snow sounded like a perfect plan. Actually, it sounded like that 8 times to be precise.
Now, the tricky part of explaining bruises and engagement. In both cases Estonian girls had influence on events that occurred. Dazzling beauty of local girl couldn’t stop me in the middle of the night to propose her. The part with bruises I don't like to tell so often. Lets just say that it is hard blow for a man's ego when a 45kg girl beats you in traditional Estonian wrestling game. Twice.With a smile.
Maybe next time I won't end up in such strange situation.Maybe.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About serbiantraveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Estonia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.