Existing Member?

Culture Travelling

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 19 April 2012 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

One of some cities I have ever visited and has so many cultural treasures which was not distorted by modernization is Bali. I love the balance between indigenous culture and local citizen and tourists with modern lifestyle are respecting each other and live in peace every day.
The most luxurious experience I have ever felt when visiting Bali is when I could attend Ngaben ceremony. This experience was memorable because Ngaben itself is a ritual burial or cremation of Hindus in Bali, which is clearly not held every day.
There is one thing attached in my mind throughout the ceremony, no one of the family seemed to cry to see the cremation ceremony of her family members. I even saw many of them are laughing and posing when someone taking some photos. Initially I thought if they do not feel sad because they lost one of the families. But lately I know why. In Ngaben ceremony is rarely seen tears because the families assume that they only temporarily abandoned by the dead to do the reincarnation; or find the final place of the spirit’s journey, called Moksha (free from the wheel of death and reincarnation). They also believe that tears would obstruct the spirit to return to their home.
However, family’s bond in Bali is very strong, because they always remember and honor the ancestor and their parents. They believe that ancestral spirits are reincarnated will be back in the family circle as a grandchild or other.
Attended Ngaben ceremony directly, I realized one important thing when we encounter of the death of someone we care about. The most important of the loss of family members is not how much we drown in the sorrow when we see them buried in the ground or cremated, but how much we can continue to pray for them until they get the best place on God's side. Tears can be erased by time when we keep moving in our life. But our prayer is the only one that will always keep them forever in our hearts.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About septantya


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.