Existing Member?

withlovefromtheworld Welcome to my travel blog! Im going to leave you with all of my adventures and stories when I go back to Africa for the whole summer. Ill be working with all my beautiful children at Huband Cradle of Hope, Helping with street children in Nairobi

The packing begins!

USA | Thursday, 30 May 2013 | Views [158]

Welcome to my travel blog! Im going to leave you with all of my adventures to come when I go back to Africa for the whole summer. Im leaving on June 10th and returning August 16th. I’ll be with my best friend Zoe from Australia who I met last summer in Kenya! During winter break I was lucky enough to be able to visit Zoe and stay with her, Sydney was one of the coolest places ever. But we are heading back to Kenya because we just cant be away for any longer!

We are going to be working with Street Life Care Org. on most week days we will be in and around Nairobi, Kenya’s capital. Street Care works with street children of all ages that have been neglected and misplaced. These kids are homeless and generally are living on the streets with no family and many have an addiction to glue and gasoline huffing. Street Cares mission is to get these children off the streets and either reunited with their families if it is still safe or into the orphanages they run. Street Care is just starting, they only have a couple works and they rely solely on volunteers. We work to travel back to their homes to see if they have family left, and if they do are they safe and willing to take their children back. When this is not the case the children come back to the homes provided and receive all the love, care and schooling they have been lacking for sometimes up to years. I will be living in one of the Street Care orphanage’s during the week and in an apartment in the town of Ngong with some roommates.

Ngong is the town I lived in last summer, Its a small town that I absolutely fell in love with. Huband Cradle of Hope Children’s Home is located there and that is where I was placed while I was in Kenya. As many of you know, Huband is like a second family to me. They are an amazing bunch of people that have completely changed my life. They have moved homes in the last year and now are living down the road from the last. I have been working with the Rotary in Alhambra in hopes of helping Huband further once I returned home. I was given the opportunity to give a presentation about these wonderful people and the reaction was amazing! I was given a couple thousand dollars and over 20 laptop computers to give to the home! I cant wait to help out when Im there this summer and be able to financially help them in whatever way they need. 

Who knows what this summer has in store for us. We plan on taking an overnight bus to the coast of Mombassa for a weekend at the beach, Zoe wants to ride an ostrich, and we have high hopes for river rafting in the Nile. We are just going to go with wherever the flow takes us. 

These last days are all about finishing up finals and getting ready to be away from home for 10 weeks. Doing all my last favorite things and trying to have a mini summer (4 days) before I leave. Cant wait to start packing, I have one backpacking backpack to fit my life in for the whole summer. We will see how that goes, for now Im cramming for finals and trying not to throwup from the 3 shots I just got.

COUNTDOWN: 12 days

This Picture was taken on our last couple days of being in Kenya. The people I met in Kenya made me who I am today, and I cant wait to go back and see everyone again and thank them for how much they have influenced everything I want to do with my life. I cant wait to see what this summer has in store for us!

 

 

 

About sedonakeenan


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.