Existing Member?

Byron Bay Revelation

Byron Bay Revelation

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [112] | Scholarship Entry

Sydney is a beautiful city with many attributes, but it was Byron Bay that sunk the travel hook in my soul, deep and permanent.

I lived like a miser for eighteen months, working all the overtime that I could at a cast iron tub and sink factory near Sheboygan Wisconsin. My wife and I lived in a tiny studio apartment on the ground floor. The goal was Australia.

After a four day trip on a Greyhound, and a short stay in San Francisco, we were on our way. Bringing a book or two is highly recommended for the sixteen hour flight to Sydney. We took the shuttle from the airport to the downtown Sydney hostel. It had an enclosed rooftop pool that you can look out at the city from. The basement bar, called Scubar, has billiard tables, dart boards and plenty of local beers on tap. I made the eight dollar mistake of ordering an American beer out of habit. The bartender saw the price shock on my face, he chuckled and said “It’s imported mate!”

The hostel has information for transportation to whatever city you want to explore. We took a Greyhound bus up the east coast to Byron Bay. We grabbed our packs and stepped onto the streets of Byron Bay. It was a bit touristy, with loads of kitschy shops and patchouli smell in the air, but to a first time backpacker it was exciting. The ocean air, the palm trees, and the music coming from the pubs all made me so grateful to be alive to experience this place.

We walked to the Byron Bay YHA on Carlyle Street, another outstanding hostel with a pool, private room options, and clean, tiled shared restrooms. After checking in, we borrowed a couple boogie boards from the front desk, and walked down to Main Beach. The beach is only a few short blocks away from the hostel. As the beach and ocean came into view, any doubt of whether travel is worth the discipline and sacrifice vanished. As I looked out at the ocean while listening to the seagulls and wild parrots, the distance between me and home became real and exhilarating.

I spent the afternoon getting thrown around by the waves and watching the local kids surfing like they learned to surf before they could walk. On the way back to the hostel we stopped at one of the livelier pubs on the main street. We enjoyed some cold Victoria Bitters on draft, and got to know other travelers and locals that were there. Back at the hostel, I showered off the sea and sand. I sat on the bed, and looking at a palm frond peaking through the window, I knew my life had changed. I knew I was hooked.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About sebastianjf


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.