Existing Member?

sebanddee

Taganga

COLOMBIA | Tuesday, 8 July 2008 | Views [530]

Taganga is a little old fishing village only 20 minutes from Colombia’s third largest Caribbean port, Santa Marta.

We found ourselves unwinding here before and after our jungle trek to the lost city. Taganga is one of those classic, cruisy backpacker destinations where a sandy bay provides shack style restaurants and unofficial looking cafes. We spent a few nights catching up with the crew from the trek. This entailed a little salsa dancing, plenty of beer and of course pizza.

During the day we swam in the ocean, witnessed Spain kick Germany’s ass in the Euro Cup and ate really yummy baguettes. Yes I know life can be tough…

Two or three days here was enough though, not only because there is only so much lazing around that Seb and I can actually enjoy but also because it is just a little too cliche and backpackeresque. It is one of those traveller hangouts that you could transplant into any other country and it would be just the same.   In other words, it doesn´ t have a lot to do with the culture of the country within which it is found.  As an example, there is a long history of Israeli backpackers who stay for long periods of time. So much so that they even have an Israeli restaurant and many of the menus and signs around the town are written in Hebrew...  It was nice for a while but it was definitely time to move on after a few days.

About sebanddee


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.