Existing Member?

Loving All The Right Places

Falling

COSTA RICA | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [207] | Scholarship Entry

I fell in love over an avocado and quinoa breakfast and asked her, “What should I do today?” to which she replied “Rent a quad and go to the Montezuma waterfalls.” “My love, would you like to join?” is what my mind said. “Great, I’ll take the check whenever!” is what my mouth said.

So I rented a quad and got directions: “This road washed out. Even I get in accident. Make a right at the gas station, pass the red house, go left…” I nodded and waited for him to finish, then reached for the map - “Sorry, this my only map.” SA-WEET! I'm gonna ask you to go through that one more time, then!

I set off in my helmet, sunglasses, and makeshift bandana (feeling very Mad Max), making every wrong turn possible, stopping to look at cows and lizards, nearly running off the road as I tried to take photos of myself driving an ATV on an unpaved road (oh, Instagram).

I made it to Montezuma, a tiny fishing town on a beautiful inlet. I'd read that the first fall was an easy hike, but “riskier types” can go along the right side and access another tier of cascades.

After about 10 minutes, I happened upon what looked like a waterfall. It was pretty mellow and I was feeling risky, so off I went along the right side, wading through water, some careful climbing - feeling like Barely Grylls - and came out on a massive waterfall.

It was breathtaking. It looked 10 stories high, maybe more. A handful of other folks were there - swimming, diving, sunning. I dove in, swam to the falls, and was DOMINATED by the power of mother nature. Like she was trying to drown me with a huge hand with a million fingers. I gathered my breath, dignity, and vital organs and swam back to the rocks. I assumed my trek was done, when I noticed people on TOP of THAT waterfall. Ah - that’s the “riskier types” hike. Should I?

It was worth a shot, and before I knew it, I was 60 feet up, sweating, climbing hand over foot, looking down and saying, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Don't look down, hug the tree, don't look down.

I pressed on. And on. And on, until I heard the sound of falling water.

Through a clearing and to my left was the top of the waterfall that tried to end me. In front of me was a second fall. To my right was a third. It was gorgeous and quiet, save for the rapids and the locals taking 50-foot dives from one fall to the next.

I stayed as long as I possibly could and made it back “home” as the sun set, deciding to find the wonderful young lady who sent me out on a day I’ll remember forever.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About scottycrowe


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.