Existing Member?

Scott's Awesome Travel Blog

First Glimpses of Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 24 May 2011 | Views [595]

Crossing the border into Cambodia from Vietnam, I did not expect 4 large casinos to be the first thing I would notice, but that's exactly what happened. It made me wonder who these large casinos catered to...was it locals? Or Vietnamese? Or maybe expats. I still don't really know, but it was weird. The rest of the bus ride into Phnom Penh reminded me of my time in East Africa. The architecture was a little different, everything was a tad greener, and of course the road was well paved, but the rural areas are very similar. I made it into the city in the late afternoon and was met by a swarm of tuk tuk and motorbike drivers offering me a ride to wherever I was going. This was very familiar. There was one that spoke English really well, and though I told him many times that I didn't need a ride, when my coordinator showed up on his motor bike he ended up telling us to use this guy's tuk tuk to follow him to our homestay. The tuk tuks here consist of a motorbike with a carriage attached that seats about 4 people on benches. 


The next day was our orientation, and I was able to meet several of the other volunteers that will be working in the city. We had some in class cultural and Khmer lessons, and they told us what to expect and how to make the most of our time here. The second day of orientation involved a city tour, where they showed us some highlights and landmarks in the city, but we didn't actually get to go inside a lot of them. I guess I'll have to make my own trips to see Toul Sleng (S21 prison) and the National Museum. I also saw the Olympic Stadium, which is ironic because Cambodia has never held any Olympic games, but it was impressive nonetheless. I got some really good photos of baboons at a Pagoda in the city as well.

After getting a few last minute things at the market and getting set up with a local cell phone, it was time to settle into the life of a temporary Cambodian. I got to know my host family a bit better and enjoyed the meals they prepared for me. It's quite a big family living in the house, with 2 daughters, 1 son, the mother and father, one aunt and one nephew. It's an impressive home stay for Cambodian standards, and I was definitely not expecting to get my own room with ensuite bathroom, a communal living room with tv/dvd player, wifi access throughout the house...and even a laundry machine! After spending almost three months hand washing my clothes and scraping my knuckles raw in Kenya, this was the greatest luxury. OK, so I'm not being completely honest, as most of the time I paid locals to wash my laundry for me in Kenya, but those 4 or 5 times I spent kneeling over a wash bucket were excruciating!


My first three days of placement were very interesting...well the first day was only an hour long because no one was there and the coordinator was on vacation - so they asked me to come back the next day, once they had prepared things for me to do. I went back the next day and started helping them translate their NGO statute into passable English (I have the original saved in my gmail in case anyone is curious about how terrible the English was on the first one.) I paid a visit to two of the schools that PIO (People Improvement Organization) supports, as well as one orphanage. Pulling into a landfill site teeming with garbage and seeing obviously malnourished children, women and men picking through it to try to scrape by was heart-wrenching. The first school was built from the remainder of the walls of an older building, and had tarps for a rooftop. The kids were all happy to see me walk in, and stood up to greet me in unison. They said "Good morning Mr Scott, how are you?" to which I replied "Good morning, I am fine, how are you?". They waited there after saying they were fine, until the teacher told them they could sit down. At that point, they half-yelled "Thank you teacher!" and sat down, once again, in unison. They gave me the ever-appreciated smiles, high-fives and handshakes, and couldn't wait to show off their English language skills. I'm starting to realize that kids in developing countries are very much alike, and appreciate their education so much more than we do back home.

My visit to the orphanage was similar, with children smiling, greeting me, and playing amongst themselves. I met the head teacher of the school, who I chatted with for a while. She asked me a very important question at one point, and said "how does all of this make you feel?" Honestly, in all my experiences with volunteering, I have never really been asked such a deep question, and certainly not by someone who was far from being a native English speaker. I kind of choked up just trying to think of an answer. How do you say both happy and sad at the same time? Ambivalent or bittersweet just don't really cut it. On the one hand, I see poor children and families with no support from a social welfare system or their government. On the other hand, I see people from all over the world and, more importantly, many Cambodians doing the best they can to ensure that these people can enjoy the most basic and fundamental rights a human should have. At the end of the day, it's the people that I meet in these situations that keep me coming back to this type of work. If they can get by with virtually nothing, stay positive and manage to keep a smile on their face, then I should never have to right to complain or take anything that I have for granted.

About scottjohnson1


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.