Existing Member?

Scott's Awesome Travel Blog

Jetlagged

VIETNAM | Saturday, 7 May 2011 | Views [409]

So with about 20 hours of flying plus a 5 hour layover in Seoul's airport, I am exhausted! The trip over was fairly uneventful, which I suppose is a good thing. I was amazed at the amount of high end clothing/apparel stores in Seoul's airport. All I wanted was food, and it took 15 minutes to find a food court tucked away upstairs on another level. 

I slept uncomfortably on a bench in the terminal gate while waiting for the final flight to Vietnam, but at least it was better than trying to sleep on the plane. The flight from Toronto to Korea could have been better, as I had an overweight dude sitting in the middle seat who would constantly invade my leg space, then fall asleep facing me and either snore or breathe down my neck. The guy even burped in his sleep a couple times! 13 hours of that was not what I would call the ideal flight. 

Rebecca and I were thrilled to finally arrive in Vietnam, and the taxi ride to our hotel really reminded me of my time in Mombasa and Nairobi what with the suffocating humidity, the blaring taxi horns, colourful boulevards and the hectic roundabouts - oh, and who could forget the smell of diesel fumes, food and spices emanating from this dense city. The first couple nights are to be spent in a rather upscale hotel - Oscar Saigon Hotel - with an air conditioned room and very friendly staff. Yeah, we're reaaallly doing a lot to adjust to the weather and our impending placement with a local family in Cambodia aren't we? This room even has wireless internet! Well I think a few days of luxury are well deserved, and I plan on taking full advantage! Time to go explore this beautiful city...

Tags: airport, arrival, ho chi minh, jetlag

About scottjohnson1


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.