Existing Member?

Into the Abyss: An Anthropological Study

Paris in August

FRANCE | Wednesday, 8 September 2010 | Views [551] | Comments [4]

So it's been a while since I updated. Last time I left off I was leaving Prague for Berlin, then going to Luxembourg, Bruges and Amsterdam. I would be lying if I said that I hadn't had time to update. On the contrary, I've had plenty of spare time. My trouble has been finding things to say that a. weren't really boring and b. I would be happy for my future employer to hear about. Suffice it to say that the last part of my trip was really fun – really fun – and Nat, Alex and I had a great time together. We were in Berlin for 4 days staying at the best hostel I've experienced so far. Proper beds, plenty of hot showers, free tours and a decent bar. We amused ourselves in Berlin with a bar crawl the first night we were there (a Saturday) in which we experienced a few of the city's “alternative” night-time venues including a painfully cool live-music place and a slightly terrifying goth bar. For me, Berlin was a fascinating experience. I'm so interested in the scars that are still so visible all along the city centre, and how the vast metropolis has somehow reformed to become a vibrant cultural centre. Most of the young people now live on the Eastern side because of the availability of low-rent buildings when the Wall came down, and consequently that's where most of the night-life happens. We ventured out of the city centre to some of the random trendy areas, including one memorably frightening suburb where I managed to direct us down a completely dark cul-de-sac in search of a bar that turned out to be shut. I think I managed to redeem myself slightly, however, by finding the most kitsch bar in Berlin, the walls, ceilings and tables of which were entirely covered in glittery, pink crap. I was also happy to try a “Berliner weisse”, or a German beer with a fruity syrup in it to make it more palatable to those of us with a less developed palate. We met some random Berliner men who invited us to “share a dreenk with uz”. All in all, a lot of fun. Naturally we also had proper touristy experiences. We did a tour of the city centre and saw Hitler's bunker, the Reichstag, the remains of the Wall, Checkpoint Charlie etc. I also wandered through the excellent museum of film, where I was overjoyed to see some of the props from Metropolis.


We parted ways after Berlin, the girls went to Koln then Brussels to see friends, while I took a rather random trip to Luxembourg. As I've already mentioned, the train trip was somewhere in the area of 8 hours, but it was a lovely trip, rocketing through the green fields and mist-covered mountains. Finally I arrived in Luxembourg City and found the enormous YHA hostel. It was a good hostel with an excellent free breakfast, but for the roughly 200 people staying there was only ONE washing machine and ONE dryer. I ended up waiting until one in the morning to use it, so desperate was I for clean clothes. But I met some really cool Scottish girls who had just come off their own epic train journey from Paris and were staying in my room. I only really had one day in Luxembourg, but there wasn't anything I was particularly desperate to do. I got up at a reasonable hour and went off wandering into the town centre, which involved scaling a roughly 40 degree slope. From the hostel you have to walk through a patch of untamed wilderness interspersed randomly with, say, the bridge for the international railway, or a gorgeous falling-down old castle turret. From the city the view out over the valley is of a perfect European countryside with a backdrop of green, dewy mountains with ancient structures cut into them. Luxembourg is almost unique amongst the cities I have visited in that it possesses an effortless, unpretentious charm. Don't get me wrong, I'm certain the streets remain cobble-stoned mostly for the purposes of the tourists, and my clumsy French was often answered by an irritated no-nonsense English, but the beauty and splendour of the tiny capital aren't something that can be faked, packaged up and sold piece-by-piece to mindless tourists. I seriously recommend visiting Luxembourg for a break from the soul-destroying whorish quality of Europe's capital cities and the seemingly inescapable concrete. I hope one day to return and properly explore this tiny nation.


From Luxembourg I hopped on a train to Brussels, then straight to meet Nat and Alex in Bruges. The less said about Bruges, in my opinion, the better. Granted, it is a beautiful old town, and I was fascinated by the architecture and planning of the public spaces, as it reflects a truly Medieval lifestyle, but you can't concentrate on any of that stuff because there are SO MANY PEOPLE. For anyone who has ever visited Chadstone with me, you will understand how much this bothered me. We went on a boat-trip and ate chocolate, and did a little shopping, and experienced some of the local beer (I had another fruity beer perversion – it was AWESOME). We stayed at a really good bed and breakfast with, in my opinion, the best breakfast of the trip.


Then it was on the train to Amsterdam. What can I say about this city... it was even more Amsterdam-y than I was expecting. True, we were staying in the middle of the Red Light District. True, we relished the opportunity to experience quite a lot of what that great city has to offer. True, we stayed in a real party hostel and most of the trip is quite hazy for me. There is probably too much for me to say here that will prove compromising, but I will tell you briefly about our pub crawl experience. We got free T-shirts (yeah!) and had quite a lot of free alcohol poured down our throats from a squeezy bottle (I think we estimated we had each had about 4 free shots, in addition to our drinks, before even leaving the first place). Randomly, the Scottish girls from Luxembourg were there! In the way of drunk people everywhere, the six of us immediately became best friends. It was a very, very fun night and we got along famously. With apologies to my travelling companion, I must say what happened to them the next morning. They had decided, the day before, to go on a tour of the Dutch countryside, starting at 8am. I politely declined to participate. They were not well at all. But, to be fair to them, my evening had ended with me lying in a random boat in a canal.


We didn't do too much high-brow sight-seeing, but I did go check out the Van Gogh museum. I was happy to see the famous paintings of boots which, in their original form, reduced me to tears. There isn't much more I can say about Amsterdam, but I'm sure the more, er, interesting exploits will be recorded elsewhere. I stayed on for a few days after Nat and Alex hopped on their planes back to Australia. I hung around a few Pride events around the city centre and met a nice girl, and saw the amusing canal parade. By the time it was over, however, I found myself afflicted by an overpowering lethargy. This was the first time I felt truly homesick. My week of binging had taken its toll, and I wanted to go home. It took me 24 hours to turn up at Jane's door after leaving Amsterdam via a very roundabout and expensive route, but I have never been happier to see someone in my life.


I must admit to not having done much after getting back to Jane's. I seem to have caught some nasty Foreign disease, or developed narcolepsy, or something along those lines, because I'm sure I was sleeping about 16 hours a day, including a nap in the afternoon. The slightest bit of activity wore me out entirely. We decided it was probably because I'd been running on adrenaline for so long, my body was having to catch up on sleep. All the same, we checked my glands to make sure I didn't have chronic fatigue syndrome. After a week of blissful rest and recuperation I braved the Eurostar to Paris to see where I would be living. I met my new housemate, Maud, a lovely 20-year-old Parisian girl whom I've been getting along with really well, and her mother, my land-lady, who has been amazingly supportive. The house is in the most ridiculously good location. It's about 50 metres from Notre Dame Cathedral, 30 seconds from the Seine, in the heart of the fifth arrondissement. My favourite pastime is still just stepping outside my door, picking a random direction and wandering around the historic Quartier Latin. Of course, in August, the place was swarming with tourists, and it's still a really expensive place to have a drink, but with Shakespeare & Co just around the corner I'm not complaining. One of the streets nearby appears to be the nerd hub of Paris. There are about a dozen comic book stores and sci-fi specialists. I bought a few Tintin books to read in French which, if you can get past the inherent old-timey racism, are very fun and easy to read.


My room is simple but gorgeous. There is a nice, comfy queen-sized bed and a nice big desk. There is also an old bricked-up fireplace and a modem. Upon opening the big double-windows, you can see down the six storeys of the building to a tiny courtyard below which connects to several adjoining buildings. You can stare out a decent distance upon the panorama of Paris, and to the left is the imposing Cathedral. I can hear the bells chiming softly from my bed each morning. The apartment has a cute little kitchen with – yay – a dishwasher and the bathroom has a combination washer/dryer which I have now used twice without difficulty. The living room has a big wooden table and little sofa, and a bookcase stacked with various philosophical works, all in French. I have tentatively examined some of these but I still haven't sufficient courage to seriously attempt one of them. Maud is very cute and bubbly. She is studying nearby this year and is a very proficient musician, playing guitar, viola and singing. She is a great conversationalist and very friendly, and we have plans to do lots of fun stuff this semester.


After settling in, I returned to Auntie's house after managing to miss a bus to Edinburgh. Still overcome with lethargy, I decided I couldn't be bothered making the long, painful journey to Scotland which, besides, would have meant parting company with a lady clearly in need of supervision (just kidding). I tried to make myself useful, sharpening pencils and moving boxes and the like, but I was pretty much a mooch, still sleeping ludicrous hours and trying not to be too annoying. But I got to see Martha this trip, which was awesome, for her 21st birthday. It's amazing how she's so different yet so exactly the same as I remember. I hope we get to hang out more this trip. I also made some inroads on becoming friends with Jane's cat, Minim, who has been a bit standoffish. But by becoming the designated door-opener I think I have won her trust at last.


I returned to Paris a few days before the start of the Welcome Programme for international students. Maud was in the countryside, so I had a few days alone in Paris to sort myself out. I still can't figure out how to connect my iPhone to the internet, which is really the only annoying thing I still have to deal with, but it's not such a big problem. Even Wifi doesn't seem to work for me here, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Orientation began on Monday at the ridiculous hour of 9:30am. We had a day of mostly sitting around being told stuff. I joined the BDE (bureau des eleves) the BDA (bureau des arts) and started trying to pick a sport. I have decided to join the fencing team. Yes, I know, I'm going to get killed. I have little doubt that I'll be terrible at it, because I've been terrible at every activity requiring dexterity in my entire life, but I figure that being in France, I should try something I won't be able to experience in Australia. I've always been interested in fencing, so I'll give it a go and if I really suck at it, well, I can make the other fencers feel better about themselves.


From Tuesday to Saturday my little group of students – Groupe “Luxembourg” - had four hours of classes every day. The first two hours were pretty easy, just French lessons in which we brushed up on some of the finer points of grammar. But the last two hours were on Sciences Po methodology and were conducted in rapid French. We were all exhausted after our first class, and I'm pretty sure we all wanted to go home. It was an important class, because the prof taught us what would be expected of us in our assessment tasks, but I had to do a debate against another Aussie girl, in French, on the subject of American superpower status. Public speaking doesn't bother me, but I still have little confidence in my French speaking abilities. My accent is atrocious and I've lost a lot of the little phrases and words that make meaningful conversation possible. Fortunately, it was a pretty low-pressure affair in the end, and each time I speak I realise that I'm remembering more and more. Nevertheless, after class each day I felt utterly exhausted, so that it wasn't possible to go out every night and Make Friends. I met some cool people in my classes, but it wasn't until the weekend that I really went out. On the Saturday night we all got a free ticket for a bateau-mouche ride on the Seine (like, a big boat with an open top). I hung out with some cool people for the hour-and-a-half ride which cultimated with a beautiful view of the Tour Eiffel all lit up. The next day, Sunday, I met my buddy, Sophie, for a little picnic. We had a pre-picnic with her other buddy, Ella, another Australian girl, and a lot of Sophie's friends who were in Melbourne on exchange with her, and their buddies. Everyone brought food and we hung around in the Bois de Vincennes eating and chatting and drinking wine. Then we had to find the main Official Picnic at which we were duly organised into groups with cute gastronomic names (I was in “Truffles”) and I met a dozen or so international and French students. There were literally hundreds of people there, so I guess it's good they organise us like that so you're not overwhelmed. We played some rather lame but requisite games which broke the ice and I chatted with a few nice people. Then the whole picnic began a mass exodus in the direction of the pub. This meant about 800 young people streaming through the streets of Paris and all trying to get through the turnstile of the Metro at the same time. Eventually we made it to the Place de la Bastille where we took over a street full of bars and started getting drunk. I had so much fun! I have met some really lovely exchange students, several from Australia and a few from other random places, and a bunch of Sophie's friends all of whom were really cool and fun. I'm pretty sure that future Welcome Programs should abolish all other activities and just have piss-ups, because everyone was really cool and in the mood to make friends. I really hope the French girls let me hang out with them again, even though I'm a lame anglophone requiring frequent translations.


So I was already happy this morning when I woke up, with a full “social” bar. Then, joy of joys, I checked online and found that I had been enrolled in the subjects I wanted, at last! I have a pretty good timetable – I only have to go in Monday, Tuesday and Thursday – but they go pretty late as a matter of course. My subjects are:


Art, history, gender

Social history of the United States

The sacred and the profane

Self, culture and society

Images of the New Man after WWI

Age of the Avant Garde in Paris

Screening socialism and post-socialism


I'm so excited! I can't wait to start studying, even though I'm certain it will be a tough semester. They told us during orientation that we could expect to have to work really, really hard just to pass, and attendance at all classes is compulsory. An American girl asked “what do we do if we're having trouble with our studies? Is there a tutor program? Can we drop subjects?” This earned her a very scathing look from the lecturer who basically replied that if we're having trouble with our studies we need to study harder.


But I'm not worried about it yet. I'm here to enjoy myself. Since I'm no longer working 20 hours+ a week, I think it will be easier to balance study and socialising. I'm definitely going to make the most of my time here – studying, perusing the vast politics library, checking out the various Quartier Latin cinemas, reading Henry Miller in French over a cafe au lait, visiting the outer arrondissements to sample some of the exciting ethnic food markets, and, of course, drinking a great deal of cheap wine: all experiences I have yet to have in Paris. I can't wait to further explore this amazing city.

Comments

1

wow, sounds like you are having an amazing time. I like how you tactfully edited out certain bits from Berlin and Amsterdam, haha. Very family/employer friendly.

I am glad you are meeting people and your room mate is nice. You better do all those things at the bottom of your blog because they sound amazing. very cultural. This whole blog thing is awesome. Great idea. I miss our times together already, it was sad our trip had to end. But reading your account of it reminded me of how much fun we had together. I made a photo book, but I am still waiting for it. I can't wait to see it and show everyone.

Make sure you keep us up to date my dear and most importantly, continue to have FUN!

Missing you. xoxo

  Nat Moore Sep 8, 2010 6:38 PM

2

Wow! What an amazing time you are having! Even without reading between the lines I'm blown away. Have you ever thought about writing travel books? Your descriptions are so vivid and original Tessa. Your Uni courses sound fascinating and when you return you too, will be speaking rapid fluent French with a perfect accent. Now please forgive a little grandmotherly advice - have fun, but......take care!

Lots of love from both of us,
Grandma and Grandpa xxx

  Gill Mitra Sep 17, 2010 10:29 AM

3

Hey Tessa, great blog! sounds like your course is going to be brilliant, and I think fencing is a wonderful idea - Harry will be very envious of that. Miss you heaps and glad you're having a great time. xxx

  Mum Sep 20, 2010 11:48 AM

4

Dear Tessa, I loved reading your blog. I was so pleased to read about your adventures, your apartment in Paris with its ideal location and that you will be studying your first-choice subjects - well done. I'll be interested in a fencing demonstration when you get back. Have fun working through your Paris to-do list. Love Sue xx

  Sue Mitra Sep 20, 2010 4:16 PM

About scigwen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.