Existing Member?

Wanderings

A White Weekend in the Black Forest!

GERMANY | Wednesday, 5 November 2008 | Views [731]

Hallo!  Well, harvest is over now so I've just had my first weekend off in 7 weeks!  Of course I had to make the most of it, so went down to the Black Forest to see Biggi and Andreas.  It had been snowing there for a couple of days during the week but was now fine, so it was perfect - a winter wonderland!

Went for a snowy walk through the forest which, in true German style, included a stop at a conveniently located restaurant for coffee and cake!  I almost set off the alarm system in the historic church on top of the hill when I went wandering up the front to check out the sculptures - right past the sign that says in German not to do that!  And the two old ladies on the reception of the nativity display were proudly telling us about how they had been getting visitors from all around the world and as far away as Freiberg, which is actually only about 45 mins away!  Needless to say they were impressed to learn that they had a visitor all the way from New Zealand.

Went to a town called Triberg right in the heart of the Black Forest, which is very nice and has its own waterfall and a load of shops selling cuckoo clocks!  I had never really thought much about cuckoo clocks before, but they are actually pretty cool and you can get them with all manner of things going on along with the cuckoo.  I also saw the worlds largest cuckoo clock, which is pretty big I have to say.

We managed to also find a rottweiler in Rottweil; home of rottweilers - both the dogs and the people from that city apparently.  So altogether another lovely weekend, and was great seeing Biggi again and Andreas this time too.  I'm off to Southern Tirol in the very north of Italy this weekend, so should be good too.  Will write again after that.

Hope all are well, and ka kite ano!

Shona x

View over Rottweil surrounds

View over Rottweil surrounds

About schona


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.