Existing Member?

Sola

In transit

ECUADOR | Monday, 11 June 2007 | Views [303] | Comments [1]

I have never considered myself fearless...I have many fears. I am afraid of turbulance, for example, when i am on the plane. I often fly alone and as I look around, I notice how I and other passengers begin to silently pray at the start of stomach knotting turbulance...regardless if anyone of us actually believes in g-d. I am also afraid of losing things. Essentially, i try to avoid the longing after the object lost...however long it lasts...I hate it. But today, everyone complements me on being corageous, even fearles...travelling alone in south america without plan...Ok, I will take the compliment. It is really scary to be...in transit. I am ¨in transit¨ twice today. First, it is el salvador, a kind introduction so as to ease me into this vivacious culture. I have never seen trees of such color. They are dark green and moist. They look good enough to bite into. I have arrived into the jungle. The trees are low, they set the mood for this continent. Everything (and everyone) here is generally low (this does not pertain to the altitude!), much in contrast to size over taste model of american agriculture. So as I sit and wait for my flight to Peru, which is delayed, of course, I marvel at the nature. When in air, flying over in clear skies, i am completely mesmerized by the views below. That is, of course, before the turbulance starts and i begin to meditate.

Flight from Quito to Peru is short, but I did get a chance to have some real Peruvian food at the airport and I was licking my fingers. Sopa creol, is by far the best soup I ever had that involved beef, tomato sauce and milk together. It is, of course, not surprizing that my digestive system does not require a laxative. In fact, I invite Sophie to come here, instead of India, to treat her digestive system. It is quiet effective. That said, arriving to Ecuador at 12 am, exausted from lack of sleep and huge adrenaline spill due to turbulance, I cannot decide whether to go to the five star hotel that Vadik´s family recommended or the hotel that is suggested by lonely planet.  As i get out of the airport, i choose the earlier.  Everything looks scary and i decide that i will pay $60 per night instead of 20 for the first night.  Of course, when I arrive, the price miraculously changes to be the $109 plus tax...Thanks, Kuz.  The room, I have to say, was not too shabby...in fact it was pretty awesome.  As I smoke a cigarette shaking from utter chill of the air, I get even sicker from the mix of carbon monoxide of the cigarette and the peculiar smell that this city has. (this reminds me that i should always listen to my mother who said take a warm jacket and do not take pretty clothes and being that i am her daughter, I did the exact opposite).  Asking for a cigarrete was clearly a mistake.  Not that I ever learn the lesson.  As I jump into my bed that can fit 15 people easily, i drift into sleep to the sound of the TV...this city is way too quiet at night. 

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Don't tell me you are headed for Machu-Pichu?

  Anand Jun 19, 2007 9:40 AM

About scarletd21


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.