Existing Member?

The Travel Dude

Udaipur

INDIA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [110] | Scholarship Entry

Udaipur, call it the City of Romance or the Venice of India or the City of Lakes – the breath-taking beauty that Udaipur offers simply goes to your soul. I prefer calling Udaipur gorgeous, for it captures you completely as soon as you step in this city that’s a stunning mixture of romance, royalty and supreme valour. You can’t take your eyes off its charm, once you take a walk alongside the mesmerizing lakes, stunning bazaars, marvellous architecture and soak in the tranquil air. Welcome to Udaipur – the land of dawn, named after its erstwhile ruler Maharana Udai Singhji.
Located 408 kms south-west of the state capital Jaipur; Udaipur is the erstwhile capital of historical Mewar region of Rajasthan. Mewar, a region that has never been conquered in its history either by the Mughals or by the British, and proud locals never forget to mention how Akbar sent numerous Army Contingents to defeat Maharana Pratap, but never succeeded. Yes, Akbar could never conquer Mewar and Maharana Pratap never called him Badshah! Even the British lived there as friendly administrators and they were not allowed to rule. The ruling clan of Mewar at Udaipur trace back their lineage to Lord Rama, claiming that they are the direct descendants of Kush, the son of Lord Rama.
Udaipur city viewMoving beyond the history, the enchanting royalty that’s steeped into the very heart of Udaipur can be experienced by visiting the City Palace and its Museum, a portion of the Palace which is open for tourists throughout the year. Inside the palace, you can see Mardana Mahal (the area reserved for males), Zenana Mahal (the area reserved for females) and other fabulous arenas. Stunning architecture, glassworks, visionary planning and striking designs take you altogether to a different era. Everything from the olden days has been kept intact and you will surely be surprised at their opulence and luxury.
Then there is Lake Pichola, a beautiful lake with numerous Ghats alongside it, the finest one is the Ghat beside Bagore ki Haveli – a former Royal Guest House. This Haveli also organizes enthralling Folk music and dance shows, daily in the evening. The Ghat has a place where you can feed pigeons; while the Cows laze around and dogs bark as usual. It gives a picturesque view of The Lake Palace as well, also known as Jag Niwas. There are some other minor ghats also from where you can take a boat ride and get a close view of The Lake Palace. It has now been turned into a heritage site.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About saurabh


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.