Existing Member?

The enlightenment of the minute

Unkown guidance of the sea

SPAIN | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [113] | Scholarship Entry

No more gasoline, we should stop by now and run away from the car; just in case something movie-like might happen such as smoke or a major explosion. Our vehicle, which by the way wasn't exactly ours, lost its elixir of life at the back of beyond somewhere in between Barcelona, Valencia and the open sea of the Mediterranean. And together with it´s loss our hope to continue our journey back to Barcelona equally drowned in the light slack liquid. There was no way we could think of the next solution to re-fill the car and no possibility to call for help due to the absence of our phones lives.

Thus, we left the car as only option to escape the mortal surrounding of our electric equipment. And we took the risk of the night with nothing more than some small torches slowly dying with the moonshine rising. Walking along the dark seaside, in the shimmering harsh bushes and the smell of air cooling down from the day. And while being endlessly frightened of unknown monsters and animals in the dark I recognized the tastes of tortilla, seafood and a couple of fresh beers from the day on my tongue. Herein this place right in the moment we were: My Catalan friend whom I met in France only by coincidence and me complaining and laughing at the same time. How could anyone ever be as stupid as in movies; walking besides the sea on a hopeless journey in search of a gas station which should have been a journey way different.

Continuing walking in the open and lost space made us feel the breezing soft and salty air. The sea just playfully reflecting and swishing the light feeling of the night. If you could just run out if time until no time was left to spend anymore and could just stay there enjoying the moment in it’s endlessness; that was one of these moments. Throughout our livelong journeys those moments can happen all the time and they can, if we allow to, set a life changing impulse to us.

Journeys are made for parting ways, changing ways, changing thinking and ending up in places that are better than anything else planned. The fresh warm night opened up to something unique. Although in search, I found in that same place throughout the shoring sea a guide for the next steps.

This night, as unspectacular but pretty in its being, became the starting point for the upcoming journey towards moving to Barcelona and a new adventure that was not yet set but rather sparkling in the dark. This night was the time I decided to move from my hometown to the heart of Catalonia.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About saskia_marie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.