Existing Member?

Kelana Dunia

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [242] | Scholarship Entry

In the early 2010, I was on a trip from Jakarta to Yogyakarta, Indonesia, took an economy-class train which has the cheapest cost. I’ve been heard some terrible opinion about this kind of train.

Yes, I got some oddities. A fix upright seat from the uncomfortable materials made my backbone getting sick. Moreover, the absence of air conditioner made the whole part of wagons became a big smoking area.

In the beginning of the trip, there were a lot of sellers who selling their wares from one to another wagon. I thought that was only for a while, but apparently they keep on selling during the ten hours trip until my train arrived in Yogyakarta. No matter the clock showed that was already dawn. Even along the night, their number was increasing and they shouted more loudly and louder.

I was disturbed and didn't comfort with them, but I tried to watch over to the entire seller. Later my bad feelings were slowly gone. They didn't sleep, sit, or just take a break for a while. Most of the sellers were elderly men and women. They never look gave up to sell over their wares. One time I saw an old woman who looks so tired and I thought she was no longer to sell all of her wares. Suddenly she fell down into the floor and fell asleep with her head put on the side of passenger’s seat.

I whispered to myself: thanks God, I don’t need to take a fortune gambling through the night without resting as they do. Then, I realized that implicitly, that old woman and other sellers on the train were taught me about one simple thing but it is often to be forgotten: grateful – for every little good things on my life.

That was my cheap trip which gave me a new wisdom that I would not be forgot for a long time. Grateful is one of the important things that must be present in every human’s heart to get the real happiness and achieve the pleasures. We have to look down for a while because sometimes we are banned with the glamorous of city lights and rarely realize about the undercover of it.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About sarashanti


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.