Existing Member?

Moonrise on the other side of the world Career break Phase 3 - RTW in 9 months.

Waiting for the dust to settle

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 24 April 2010 | Views [258]

Pile of packing

Pile of packing

Along with huge numbers of travellers I have been delayed by the eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland.  Plumes of ash sent high into the air create a potential disaster for jets when the magma would melt into glass at high temperatures and shut down the engines.  Most of European airspace got closed down last Thursday and did not reopen until the following Wednesday.  My flight was due out on Monday morning.

My tickets have been rebooked with a departure date of 8 days later, and my outward itinerary has been pushed back by the same amount.  I am still going to visit Hong Kong and Bali, I'm very much looking forward to being on the road, or perhaps lounging by a pool in the warm sunshine.

The enforced interlude has permitted more online planning and preparation, and a few more details of the trip are coming together very nicely.  In the meantime, I am at my parents being fed and looked after very well, it's a lot better for me than a number of the other "Volcationers".  Air travel is back to normal now, but many stranded passengers still face huge delays in getting home.

About sarahtravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.