Existing Member?

A Little Parenthesis

Of Meaning, Of Movement, Of Radiance

ISRAEL | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [328] | Scholarship Entry

The last bright blanket of light clung to the slow incline of Mount Arbel, illuminating the path for eight weary pairs of feet. Dry, scraggly shrubs littered the well-trodden park and dim, grey stones multiply and expand with every step toward the serene sea to the east. Myself and seven others were fatigued from a long tour which covered many miles in few hours, but our spirits were lightly floating on the backs of new-found friendships and the thrill of fresh experiences. After a short walk, we came to the precipice of the small mountain and we could see a modest Bedouin village nestled directly below us. It's white buildings seemed to glow in the waning daylight. Before the sun began to set, I let my eyes glide further across the manicured valley and the Sea of Galilee, and they came to rest on the rose-colored hills of the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. Not far beyond my perception lies the border of Jordan and Syrian territory. Immediately to the south of our perch of 380 meters, I can observe the already twinkling lights of the largest city on the sea, Tiberias. Our attention is soon pulled back to the west as we remember the initial purpose of the day's journey We settled among the rocks and the sprigs of grass to watch the sun's descent towards the horizon while the mountains ahead busy themselves altering their color from shades of brown and green to black.

The radiant Israeli sun can bond together the most unprepared spirits and the balmy nights only help to soothe them. Only twelve days before, we were strangers to each other and yet now we slipped easily into conversation about the frivolities as well as the tremendous mysteries of the world surrounding us. The threads that bound us were quickly strengthened and grew with each word as we discussed the chance junctures in our lives that brought us together. The sense of warm companionship is imprinted as perfectly in my memory as the smiles and laughter which surrounded me.

As we watched the small sea reflecting the purples, pinks, and oranges from the sunset, I realized that I could never have anticipated an equal second in my life. That was the first moment I fell in love with travel. It was breathing the crisp air that was whipping my hair in my face high above the the deepening colors of the water. It was discussing things bigger than ourselves with strangers that I love. It was education, culture shock, and the first time I genuinely felt the heartbeat of the world underneath my feet.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About sarahnicole

A perfect juglet that I found. We almost smashed it to bits accidentally!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.