Existing Member?

Anubhav Sanskrit for the ultimate adventure - What better way than to explore not only the world, but yourself then thru traveling!

The Incredible Taj Mahal!

INDIA | Wednesday, 6 November 2013 | Views [242]

Yesterday after a much needed 12 hour sleep, we explored Agra. The journey into the city as quite something - we had to venture thru the slums to get to the main part of the city, and it was quite eye opening. The smell alone from all the waste was unbareable... far worse than anything i have experienced in South America. 

With lots of sleep under our belts, we were up early with the sun to head to the Taj Mahal - an undeniable highlight of the trip. We arrived and there was a very small line to get in. Went thru the entry gates, and there she sat. No picture does it any justice. From far away it is a regal monument, and as you approach it, it turns into intricate designs of semi-precious stones in the shapes of vines and lotus flowers, engraved urdu throughout the pillars, and the most impressive marble pillars on all four corners. We were lucky to be there early enough to get great pictures without fighting thru a crowd, which also gave us the space to admire the Taj in all its glory.

Next on our list was Agra Fort. It is a massive structure that used to protect the city, and where the King would live. The moat around it unfortunately has been claimed by waste, and the smell wafting from it was something I was not prepared for... Enough said. Once inside there were many great vantage points whereby we could see the Taj down the Yamuna River. The fort was fun to explore with lots of small rooms and more intricate engravings in the marble across the entirety of the fort. I could picture myself there during the Mughal Empire, with the lavish paintings on the roof, waterfalls, and gardens so lush you would thinkn you were in heaven. The transition from red brick to marble through their reign was also quite neat to see, as each King had his own preferences. Very Cool!!

We then jumped on the train to Jaipur, and only to discover upon arrival that the Fairmont Jaipur is 40 minutes outside the city... What about unrivaled presenc? So the money that we thought we would be saving by staying with our great hotel chain will be spent on cabs to the city and our Jaipur explorations!! Oh well, that is part of what travel is all about - accepting the curve balls.

I will update you on our adventures of Jaipur city from today shortly, but that is all for now!

About sarahmastalir


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.