Existing Member?

Sarah's Travels A journal documenting the travels and ideas of an adventurous journalism student.

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [232] | Scholarship Entry

Hundreds of eyes stared as the odd group walked through the wild streets of Delhi. Cars honked constantly – when they stopped, when they went, when they turned – in the sweltering summer heat. Trash and rubble filled the sidewalks. Pollution left a haze across the sky, blocking the sun so it was just a muddled, glowing orb behind the smog. Vendors lined the streets selling everything from Buddha statues, fruit, and name-brand Abibas and Neke watches.
As these strange sights and sounds filled the eyes of nineteen poor college students, they were being observed with just as much curiosity by the Indians who lived there. To them, these outsiders were not poor college students, but rich Americans.
The Nebraskan students had come to put their journalism skills to use in a new environment. Now far away from the mundane of clean-cut suburbia, everything seemed like a story. Giddy Indian children rushed up to have their pictures taken, while others knocked on the windows of taxis for rupees. People seemed to cover every inch of cement – walking, biking, sitting, eating. Barbers even set up shop along the street as homeless slept nearby.
The story worth most, though, was of the generous Indian spirit. In the slums, those who had so little to give offered what they could, providing endless cups of masala chai and sweet biscuits. Adults and children alike gathered around as the journalism students would interview someone. The voices of the unheard were heartbreaking, with stories coming from trash pickers to children who had been abandoned, and even women who terminated their unborn daughters. But through it all, Indian pride remained.
It never failed; the Midwesterners were met with selfless generosity by everyone they met. The stories they wrote and the pictures they took could never fully express the kindness they frequently received. As the group left the Delhi airport, they were going back as poor college students, but rich with experiences.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About sarahlynn2

Just in case you need a face to go with the name :)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.