Existing Member?

Brenda and Sarah take on Oz!

Amazing Cairns and Saying Goodbye

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 4 July 2014 | Views [428]

Underneath the incredible 500 year old Cathedral Fig Tree.

Underneath the incredible 500 year old Cathedral Fig Tree.

 

After a whirlwind 4 days in Cairns, I find myself flying the long distance from Cairns to Sydney to LA to San Francisco. I can’t believe I’m heading back to California. It feels like a lifetime ago that I left and yet these two months have gone by in a flash. I have created so many memories, grown more than I ever could have imagined and, as always happens when I travel, reignited my wanderlust, already planning my next adventure in my head (destination TBD).

It’s hard to describe Cairns as anything other than paradise. I was joined by my friend Bill who I had met and connected with in Melbourne, adventuring in and around the city. Our first day was spent lazily laying in the sun next to, and swimming in, Cairns’ famous “lagoon”. Since the water next to the beach is not swimmable (rare in Australia), the city built a giant pool and esplanade area that locals and tourists flock to on beautiful days. For the millionth time since arriving in Australia, I found myself thinking “I could get used to this life.”

The following day we went on an amazing tour of the area’s waterfalls, forests and small country towns. As you can see in the photos in the gallery to the right, the day was full of breathtaking moments and awe-inspiring views. Throw in a knowledgeable and funny guide who looks like Otto from the Simpsons and a good group of people and you’ve got a fantastic day!

Our last day was spent snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. There are no words to describe the pure beauty of the reef and the emotions that it can incur. I found myself close to tears as I swam above a giant turtle for several minutes, with neon fish and corals of all shapes and sizes swimming and swaying around. With the water silencing the noise above, one can very easily get lost in this underwater paradise. Similar to the feeling I had while walking past the Sydney Opera House, it was surreal to be a part of this underwater world seen so often on TV or in pictures. The waves were bigger than normal so swimming out was a solid workout and the 1.5 hour boat ride in and out of the reef was incredibly choppy. I took the advice of a fellow traveller and took seasickness medication before embarking and I am so glad I did. While almost everyone around us looked pale, sick and miserable, Bill and I bounced around laughing every time we’d hit a wave as we’d go flying across the deck.

I am full of mixed emotions today as I complete this adventure. I am so looking forward to getting back to California and seeing all of my amazing friends and colleagues (and kitties!) who I’ve missed dearly. Yet, there are people and a life in Australia (and in Toronto) that I will miss as well.

I was talking to my mom recently about how I feel like I’m continuously having to say goodbye as of late. Whether it’s leaving California, Toronto and now Australia, I’m so lucky to have the pleasure of seeing old friends and making new ones which always leads to having to say goodbye for a little while at least. At the same time, I also feel a sense of sadness (and a little fear) every time I leave a place. I was sad and a little fearful leaving California for this “life break” not sure what to expect in Toronto. After an amazing month reconnecting with so many loved ones, I was sad and a little fearful leaving Toronto for the unknown in Australia. After an incredible month of adventure and growth in Australia (and I was so tempted to stay for at least a little longer!) I am sad and a little fearful of returning to California and what “real life” will look like for the next little while. I know that I will settle back in pretty easily and hope I don't lose what I’ve gained over the last couple of months. My mom pointed out how lucky I am to have had wonderful experiences in so many different places and that all of them make me happy and feel like home in their own way.  I think she’s absolutely right and I take comfort in knowing that there are so many places and people in this world who bring me joy and that there are so many more to discover!

On that note, I’ll sign off of this last blog of my Oz Adventure. I can’t wait to start blogging again about a time and destination yet to be determined, but hopefully not too far off. Thanks for reading – see you soon! 

Ps. Check out some of my favorite photos from Melbourne, Tasmania, Sydney, Byron Bay, Fraser Island, Hervey Bay & Cairns in the Photo Gallery to the right!

About sarahlizweaver


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.