Existing Member?

Journeys worth to remember

Summoning the Greek Gods- From Greece to Italy

ITALY | Friday, 22 May 2015 | Views [116]

Well I don’t want to say I’ve told you so, but aren’t you glad that we started this journey earlier?

Shhh, don’t spoil the moment! I answered while I was looking at this traditional Greek dance with new and deeper respect for the European culture.

I’ve took another sip of my Greek ouzo and gazed with admiration at the dance of this man. It was a beautiful garden restaurant and just a few steps ahead laid the turquoise Ionian see. And even today when I eat the amazing Greek salad I close my eyes and there it is! The dance of the man! The beautiful choreography, the music that lifts your spirit up and takes all the troubles away. He looks like he is summoning the Greek Gods, my friend made a remarkably interesting suggestion that I remember up to this day. Indeed he is, indeed he is, I agreed.

I looked at the watch and sadly realized that we needed to go. We had to catch a ferry to Italy.

While we were driving to the port, a strong knocking and yelling woke me up. I looked through the bus’s window and there they were- hundreds of African immigrants with hope for a better life, they were trying to get on the buses who were headed for the ferries on the port. I was shocked. One man noticed that I was staring at him and he started shouting something to me. He was desperate. He was looking to me like I had some sort of power to take him inside the bus. I felt so hopeless. Cowardly I turned my face on the other side. He became angry. I wanted to say I’m sorry. I really did. The driver on the other hand seemed very calm, obviously he had been driving through this place before. There is nothing to be done. We aren’t in position to help them, he said. I wished I was able to summon the Gods.

We took our ferry and few hours later we safely stepped on the “Big Boot” and headed to Rome. Everything we’ve seen had a story, every building had a soul. Everything was in a perfect harmony! From the Spanish steps, to Fontana di Trevi, from Colosseum to Vatican. But you know, you see so many things, you hear a lot of history facts, and that will fade away with time. One thing you will never forget is the feeling! That delightful euphoria that spreads from your heart to your toes. That worm feeling of happiness. The sun tickling your skin. The sound of many different voices and languages mixing in the crowd. The taste of Italian pizza, the taste of lasagne, the taste of Gelato, the sadness in the eyes of the people in front of the port. Those moments will never fade away.

 

Tags: 2015 writing scholarship

About sarahjustaroundthecorner


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.