Existing Member?

Meanderings and Musings of the Magnificent and Mundane

In The Ubud 'Hood

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

It was our last precious couple of days in the Asian paradise -Bali- & we still had things to tick off our Bucket Lists. We'd heard about a fantastic bike tour up on the volcano Mt Batur, (aka Kintamani) cycling down through local villages with a guide.

After days relaxing by the pool, the most energetic activity undertaken being the 3 step walk from the towel to the cooling waters for a dip unless you count the arm curls done with cocktail in hand- a vigorous bike ride through the mountains was just what we needed to lift us out of our sloth-like stupor. It would be an early start too!

Miraculously we were all up and dressed by the time our driver Kedek arrived. Kedek’s driving style was more suited to a Formula One track than the meandering unsealed roads of Bali. Leaving cluttered tourist areas behind, the rural scenery was beautiful and jungle-like in some areas. We bumped through deep potholes, passing rice fields, lofty palm groves, roadside bamboo food stalls and lush green foliage along the way.

After around an hour, Kedek pulled over allowing us a welcome stretch. Uncrumpling ourselves from the confines of the van we found we were on the precipice, taking in the spectacular view over the vast lake of black lava below. Enjoying our cliff-top vantage point, we learnt from a friendly local that the lava had been deposited by a violent eruption in 1963. Though grateful for the education we politely declined his unique sand art pictures.

Issued with our bikes and acquainted with our guides, we celebrated the absence of humidity in the air. Peddling, we were immediately charmed by the beauty and history of the ancient mountain village we were approaching. Amazed by hanging coconuts dangling from branches housing newborn placentas, we were intrigued by tales of courting rituals- unchanged for centuries - of the villagers in that place.

Squads of mopeds snaked through bends carrying gargantuan loads of elephant grass like tiny ants carrying too-large crumbs - their proportions incongruous. Others carried monstrous loads on their heads effortlessly as they strode towards the temple, backs rod-straight. While only slight in stature, the Balinese are strong!

Women pulled leaves from cabbages, kids giggled on tricycles, boys wobbled as they took their first rides on mopeds, carvers chipped intricate designs into concrete blocks, cows mooed in fields of waving green.

This glimpse of everyday village life was incredible and was rupiah well spent!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About sarahjones6


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.