Existing Member?

Galavanting in Galle

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry

SRI LANKA | Tuesday, 1 February 2011 | Views [272] | Scholarship Entry

For charm and old fashioned romance please, wake up amoungst poets, artists and writers in the old colonial city of Galle, Sri Lanka. Boasting a bohemian yet historical feel with it's decaying Dutch-colonial buildings and boutique shops, here is your chance to escape reality in a whirlwind of culture. Stay in the heart of the 400 year old Fort at the opulant Amangalla which you'll love for it's sense of stylish yesteryear and modern elegance. It's impossible not to feel like a superstar when your 24-hour Butler introduces you to your honeymoon suite where you'll find a four poster bed is decortated with coconut leaves, and fifities jazz music wafting out of the french doors. Lose yourself in a world of tranquility by relaxing by their stunning pool or try out their complementary yoga in the Garden Pavillion.

You simply have to try their Sri Lankan cookery course to try out on all your friends back home, before eating what you have made for a private dinner under the coconut palms all lit up by fairy lights. Why not release that inner child and hire an old-fashioned bicycle for a charming ride around the 17th Century Fort which was amazingly one of the few places to withstand the Tsunami. If you cycle along the rampart, you'll find ocean views and locals jumping off the cliff into the sea, playing cricket on the green and shy couples courting along the Fort’s stone walls. Do visit the Jetwing Lighthouse restaurant, known for being the best spot to watch an incredible sunset over the Indian Ocean and make sure you try one of their yummy cocktails-sunset cocktail anyone?

You know that pristine picture perfect beach you always dreamt about? Check out Unawatuna beach just five minutes away, where we can guarentee you won't be disappointed. After all that hard work topping up your tans on the golden sands, grab a fresh king coconut to quench your thirst.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About sarahbrom


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.