Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Halong Bay

VIETNAM | Friday, 29 February 2008 | Views [1202] | Comments [3]

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update as we unexpectedly found an internet connection at the hotel we're staying in tonight!

We're now on Day 2 of our tour of Halong bay, having spent last night in a cozy cabin on a Chinese Junk (the boats with the big sails that you have probably seen on tea packaging!).

It is a really lovely old boat and we've had a great time cruising around the bay and enjoying freshly cooked seafood meals on board. We know for certain that the seafood is fresh because we've been stopping off at floating fishing villages to stock up every so often! The villages are really quite amazing - people actually live all the time in the very simple floating houses, and most make their living by catching and selling fish (and the occasional packet of Pringles!) at market and to passing boats.

Fishing village in Halong Bay

The area is really famous for its scenery - characterised by incredible weirdly shaped limestone rock formations and islets (as seen in the James Bond film 'Tomorrow Never Dies'!).

So of course we've taken brazillions of photos, some of which we'll include here, the rest of which will join the now massive file of 'to be prioritised at a later date' photos!

We struck lucky with the weather in the end too. Like China, they've had a particularly harsh winter in Vietnam this year - which is taking its time to finish! So when we set off yesterday we were both struggling to maintain enthusiasm and saying how 'atmospherically misty' it was going to be... (i.e. freezing cold, grey and damp!) - and it did stay like that yesterday evening and this morning - but at about 11am today it started brightening up, and turned into the first really sunny afternoon of spring - so we got to see the landscape in a good range of climatic conditions!

We also stopped at an island yesterday to see some amazing caves which have formed over millions of years by volcanic activity (referred to as 'Vulcans' by our German shipmate, Robert) - and waves. Some of the caves were really spectacular with giant stalactites and stalagmites, most of which have equally elaborate legends attached to them... in fact some of the stories are so convoluted that we were tempted to sneak off into one of the darker corners of the cave after half an hour or so of enthusiastic explanation by our guide!

Colourful caves

It's just a bit of a shame that some of the recently added 'mood lighting' gives the feeling of a Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen - inspired Santa's grotto. Viewing them through the black and white setting on the camera actually made for an improvement!

We've also managed to partake in some of the voluntary activities on offer today - mountain biking through a national park area and a lovely little village on Cat Ba island, and kayaking around the bay to explore a few of the tiny and beautiful protected beaches that are scattered around the bay. No doubt our biceps will be creaking tomorrow at their first real exertion for 6 weeks or so (since we last went kayaking in fact!)

Us, being active (and then sitting down quickly!)

We didn´t get too close to this one in our kayak - looks dangerous!

Baby monkey and incy wincey fish seen on the islands

Eating a fresh seafood lunch just off Cat Ba Island

Anyway, it's bed time now and we're very pleased about this particularly because we are in a relatively fancy hotel as part of the organised tour and were embarassingly excited to find in our room...guess what?! No, not a jacuzzi bath, nor a surround sound stereo system... but a kettle! It's the first time we've had one on the entire trip and means that Sarah can finally use some of the organic rooibos tea bags that she's had carefully stashed away in a rucksack pocket since we left in November - hooray for tea!!

Thanks so much everyone by the way for the book recommendations and travel tips - and for staying in touch too - we miss you all lots and love hearing news from home.

Until China then,

Sarah and Phil x x

Tags: on the road

Comments

1

Wow! Halong Bay looks absolutely lovely - great to see the floating fishing "villages", and good to hear that you're keeping up the Omega 3 levels.
No dramatic news from here, but rather worryingly both NUFC and PNE lost 1-0 today - what odds a double relegation?
Terrific to hear from you unexpectedly and well done with the photos - Sarah's hair hardly looks any different after the Vietnamese chop!
Good luck in China - hope you've been practising your useful phrases.
Countdown to our departure has begun - see you later this month.
Lots of love, Dad B XXX

  Dad Barton Mar 2, 2008 5:12 AM

2

Halong Bay looks fascinating. The rock formations and floating villages look so picturesque. The trip you've been on sounds really good with loads of experiences on offer. And a cup of tea at the end of a long day eh - what bliss. Good luck with the onward journey which should be brilliant. How many books have you bought so far?! Weather here sunny today and reasonable predicted for tomorrow but then it's plummeting to 6 degrees again on Monday. Brrr.
Lots of love Mum xxx

  Mum B Mar 2, 2008 7:11 AM

3

'Wow' exactly 'Dad Barton'!Halong Bay looks absolutely amazing. Am so enjoying reading about your travels and looking at the photo's. Hope you enjoyed your Rooibos sarah!! So China next - will be interesting to see the preps for the olympics, actually will just be interesting regardless!
All good here in Devon, is there an email address I can write to you at and send photo's??
Lots of love, kerry x x x x x x x

  kerry Mar 4, 2008 5:01 AM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.