Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Luang Prabang

LAOS | Monday, 18 February 2008 | Views [1725] | Comments [5]

Buddhas in Pak Ou caves

Buddhas in Pak Ou caves

Hi everyone,

We finally arrived in Luang Prabang in Laos on Thursday last week after our two-day slow boat trip down the Mekong river. It was a really atmospheric journey meandering our way down from northern Thailand through the misty jungle, and a pretty romantic way to spend Valentine’s day really!

It’s a very peaceful journey down the river for the most part, with just the occasional sleepy village, or fisherman to take photos of. The tranquility is only disturbed by the speedboats which also rip along the route. They take just half the time that the slow boat does (i.e. with no overnight stop), but since there are dangerous stretches of rapids and hidden rocks along the route, passengers are issued with compulsory life jackets and crash helmets… never a good confidence booster as you climb on board!

Seeing these (mostly Japanese) adrenaline junkies zoom by, soaking wet and gripping on to the sides of their boats for dear life made us feel really quite grateful to be whiling away the hours just looking around, reading books and playing scrabble. The slow boat really wasn’t that uncomfortable once you’ve bought your cushion (a bargain at 50p or so, and you get to keep it – could come in handy for those Chinese trains!). And some of the canny passengers that were first in the queue even got a ‘luxury seat’ – one of a few padded recliners that were apparently ripped straight out of aeroplanes… and we wonder why Lao Air has such a bad reputation….

Perhaps the best bit about the trip though was actually arriving in Luang Prabang. It’s the first place of any size that we’d seen for 48 hours and getting off the boat you do feel a bit like a nineteenth century jungle explorer, discovering somewhere unknown to western civilization and preparing yourself for whatever ‘the natives’ might be like … that is at least until the mist clears from your eyes and you see all of the pretty little avenues of sophisticated cafés, art galleries and quirky shops anyway…. In fact as we stopped at one of the cafes for a coffee and a catch up with the Bangkok Post, we were rather reminded of Stoke Newington Church Street! (will the Lonely Planet pick this up and finally publish a Stokey edition?!)

LP has actually recently been voted no. 1 city in the world to visit by Wanderlust magazine – a fact the Laos people seem to be being rather over-modest about – it was reported in the local paper that it had entered the top ten…(?!) And it is an amazing little town – preserved exceptionally well (it's UNESCO-listed) and apparently little changed since the French colonialists arrived. It certainly makes for a very picturesque setting, with old colonial-style houses with shutters and balconies (many of which are now very classy boutique hotels), set against gorgeous old buddhist temples and palm trees.

In summary, it’s the sort of place for mooching, drinking coffee and watching the world go by. So we’ve been doing lots of that! The local stuff, Lao coffee, is a big favourite – it’s incredibly strong, and thick like soup – oh, and keeps you awake all night – but we don’t care, we’re addicted! We’re actually thinking of throwing out some clothes to make space for a couple of kilos in our bags for home – so place your orders now those of you with young children!!

We’ve also got in our fair share of sightseeing, and have visited lots of the main temples. Our favourites so far have been Wat Xieng Thong (the oldest and really, really beautiful), That Chomsi (on top of a hill in the centre of the Old City, from where you can watch the seatless Lao Air planes take off over the jungle), and the excellently named Wat That – a useful landmark which hasn’t stopped making us giggle yet – “oh look, wat that, over there Phil!” We're easily amused...!

And we’ve also been on a couple of trips out of the town – one morning we took a little boat out to the Pak Ou caves, where thousands of Buddhas have been left in caves, we think (though we’re not sure – they have interestingly nuanced translations round here!) as offerings to keep the gods that look after the river happy.

We also spent a lovely afternoon at the Kouang Si waterfall, which falls 60 metres before spilling through a series of crystal blue pools. And we had fun pretending to be on the Krypton Factor trying to make our way across the top of the waterfall because we’d gone up the steps on the wrong side and had to get down the other way… all good fun and we only got our feet a little bit wet....

Other good things about Laos are:

* The people – who are making what they can from tourism in a very friendly and less ‘in your face’ way than some places we’ve been to so far

* The money – the currency is Kip and there are approx 17,500 of them to the pound. So we’re millionaires – hoorah! (see photo gallery also!)

* The beer – Beerlao – which is delicious, incredibly cheap, so helping us get some kip (of the sleep variety) after all that Lao coffee…

The Internet is also rather more advanced than we’d bargained for, and there are internet cafes everywhere (many even offering free wifi with your patisserie of choice…). So, with any luck we’ll be back online with another entry from our next stops in Laos, Vang Vieng and Vientiane, soon!

Until then,

Sarah and Phil x x

P.S. Book list – call for nominations!

This café lifestyle has meant that we’ve been getting through a lot of books recently, and as we’ve heard that the second hand bookshops in Vietnam are top notch, we’re going to try and use it as an opportunity to stock up. So, has anyone read anything really good recently? Anything considered –we’re trying to broaden our horizons after all…

Suggestions can be posted via the ‘comments’ option at the bottom of this entry, or emailed to us….. thanks!! (sarah__barton@hotmail.com / pn_shaw@hotmail.com)

Tags: on the road

Comments

1

Well i'm afraid i haven't done much reading yet so if you have read the Kite Runner already then that leaves me with no new books to recommend... Everything sounds like it is running very smoothly and to plan etc have you met any funny characters recently or found any peculiar bugs?! Well i went home over the weekend to see Mum and Dad (wont see them until after they have been out see you folk) and also to catch up with some friends at home. We went to dirty martinis on covent garden (very nice) and the gardening club (fun but quite cheesy!). I had forgotten what a pain it is getting home from London at night. Recently we have had a super cold spell with temperatures going to -8/-10 overnight for the last few nights but then lovely sunny days. It didn't stop Dad making the most of my digging skills while at home and i was sent for an obligatory hour and a half session at the allotment (complimentary kit kat helped to persuade me). can you speak any Laosian?! X

  anna Feb 19, 2008 9:08 PM

2

Lots of lovely photos again - but just how big are those ants?! Waterfall escapade looks a bit dodgy. What I can't work out is what difference it would have made if you'd gone up the other side! But then that's probably me not engaging brain. It's obviously much colder there - haven't seen Sarah's woolly hat and red jacket since St Petersburg. Bet you're really quite glad Phil that you don't always have so much money to cope with - maybe the ploy is that you spend it to get rid of it. Any Laosy cooking courses yet?
Lots of love
Mum xx

  Mum B Feb 19, 2008 9:33 PM

3

Listening to "A Good Read" on Radio 4 earlier this afternoon gave two ideas:

"Gilead" by Marilnne Robinson, published by Virago. Won the Pulitzer Prize in 2005. Described by reviewers as "gentle, wise and moving, a joy to read"

"Resistance" by Owen Shears, published by Faber.
Set in an imagined remote farming community in the Welsh Black Mountains after a Nazi invasion. Story about how the women cope after all the men leave to join the resistance. This is Shears' (a poet) first novel and was described by Chris Smith as very descriptive of the landscape and weather and their impact on both the women and the occupiers and "beautifully written".

Hope you find a good read.

Lots of love
Dad XX

  Dad B Feb 20, 2008 5:37 AM

4

Ahhhh - it's amazing how in touch I still feel with you and how our lives still take a very similar daily routine; just reading of you meandering through misty jungles reminded me so much of my drive to Epsom this morning on the Banstead Rd....

Great to hear from you both as always - look forward to the next installment.

Take care

Jonny

xx

PS The Toon still haven't won Phil....

  Jonny Feb 20, 2008 9:18 PM

5

Hi Both,

Great to see the photo's and I love the comments. Its nice to know that even though you are all those miles away the comedy is as good as ever.

I've just been browsing the book shelves and come up with the following
100 Greats - Barnsley Football Club Grenville Firth, not sure if you can get the hardback version, but soft back will be a cert. Alternativly...

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Random Acts of Heroic Love - Danny Scheinmann
The Time Travelers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

I'm not that soppy even though the titles suggest...

look after yourselves

Nick

  Nick Feb 21, 2008 9:28 PM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.