Existing Member?

Special Places

Above the roofs of Prague

CZECH REPUBLIC | Wednesday, 6 May 2015 | Views [142] | Scholarship Entry

I'm usually not an advocate of typical sightseeing so I didn't get very excited when my friends wanted to visit the Hradcany castle during our trip to Prague. On one of the last hot days I could imagine doing several other things rather than pilgrimaging among hundreds of tourists to one of the most popular sights of the city. But fortunately,they convinced me that it was a good idea.
We visited the castle itself and ambled through the whole complex including the Golden Lane with its mysteriously small houses while taking pictures in front of the old and colorful walls of the buildings.
Now, the Hradcany was built on a huge hill from where you can overview the whole city. When you're about to leave the castle complex there's a long wall on your right and a park behind it. Since I'm a passionate shutterbug we had to go there to take pictures of the amazing view. But we realized that some other tourists thought the same, it was noisey and crowded and not that special which is actually something I'm always looking for. We then discovered that you can go downstairs a bit further to the right to get to a lower level of the park. While looking around we discovered a smaller, kind of hidden wall between the crowd at the top and that path of the park. So we climbed on that wall and suddenly we had found this special place where you can hear the other tourists from above or underneath you but nobody really sees you. It was amazing.
We decided to stay there and while enjoying the stunning view we drank red wine and talked about everything and anything until the dusk slowly appeared and brought all the lights of the city with it. It wasn't until it got quite dark and cold that we felt like going back home and we suddenly realized that all the voices behind us were gone, nobody was there anymore. After some shots of Prague's roofs at night we finally wanted to leave. That on the other hand turned out to be more difficult than expected because the gate to the stairs was locked and there wasn't another way out since the few holes in the walls were too small to crawl through. We had to wait for a night guard to pass us by chance. Gladly, the Czech are really kind and that one even understood English so we got out after a while and could go without any trouble. On our way down to the city we passed a young violinist who simply melted our hearts and as we headed home I was just purely and entirely happy. That was when I first realized I had fallen in love with Prague.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About sarah_safari


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.