Existing Member?

In search of ... "birds flying high you know how I feel, sun in the sky you know how I feel, breeze drifting on by you know how i feel, its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me.....and I'm feelin good ..." just call me Ella!

Party Nights -bush style

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 13 February 2008 | Views [557]

Hmm party nights in South Africa are actually a lot better than i thought. Every Thursday evening we try to glam up a bit ie. lose the green and brown camouflage then all pile in the back of the open truck and drive to our local pub which is about 40mins away and is situated in the bush. Funnily enough its called 'In the bush' (South Africans are very creative..erm). We arrive windswept and complete with flies and bugs as hair accessories. The pub is built on stilts over a reserve with Rhino walking underneath, its just like a large tree house, great place, fab atmosphere, lots to drink and all the local rangers come when they know the volunteers are there so it makes for a good night. Its also good to meet the locals too, although they are all white South Africans, unfortunately apartheid seems very much still in existence. Been trying  my best to hustle the locals at the pool table but it hasn’t worked - Owen I need more lessons!

The last party night we stayed at base and had fancy dress, which was highly amusing as you can imagine there's not a lot of available materials in the bush so we had to be very creative. I went as a bumble bee, using a yellow lilo - see pics. Very difficult to move around in but helped when I fell over pissed at end of the night. It was a great night and sad too as we knew we would all be saying goodbye in two days.

 

Tags: Party time

About sarah_freedom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.