Existing Member?

South America

smile and nod...

ECUADOR | Sunday, 19 March 2006 | Views [571] | Comments [1]

I am so often confused here. Sometimes it's because of the language, but sometimes because things actually make no sense. Like Saturday two weeks ago, when three tradesmen arrived very early, dug a hole in the floor of my perfectly adequate shower, then left. They came back the next day, and retiled the whole floor. Now when I shower, the water comes up to my ankles before it drains away. 

I'd just finished sloshing around in the shower yesterday afternoon when Sonia started garbling through my door about going somewhere. It sounded urgent, so I got dressed and hurried down to meet her and her daughter Karina in the street. Once I was in the car and committed to wherever it was we were going, I learnt that we were off to buy pyjamas for Karina's daughter Valentina. She's nearly three and really very cute, even when she mocks my pronunciation. Ironically, 'pijama' is one of the words she teases me about...

We drove to the far side of Ibarra to a specialist pyjama store, where we passed up several pairs of perfectly good pyjamas and got back in the car. Then we went to another part of town, and parked so the doting grandmother could go and peruse more tiny pyjamas, in several different shops.

Half an hour into the mission, I was quite confused why it was so urgent to buy pyjamas for a kid who already has loads of clothes, and probably several pyjamas already. Then Karina explained to me that it was actually orange pyjamas they were looking for.  Because, she explained, Valentina's recovering from the flu, and orange pyjamas are best for that.

Tags: oh ecuador...

Comments

1

Of course, as if you didn't know that! This is one I will have to recommend to my friends when they get the flu!

  Hayley Mar 27, 2006 2:27 PM

About sarah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.