Existing Member?

Sarah's Adventures

Cook Islands- Part 1

COOK ISLANDS | Sunday, 9 December 2007 | Views [747]

2nd december 2007

Venice

Spent the day chilling on venice beach people watching before heading off to the South Pacific.

3rd December 2007

Rarotonga

I have arrived in heaven!! Got there 5.45am to be greated by a local ukalee player playing a traditional welcome song. The island is total paradise and the people so friendly. Having got settled into our hosetl on the beach we took a bus into the main town and purchased some snorkling equipment in anticiaption of exploring the lagoons and coral reefs. the evening was spent at the RSA with a load of people form the hostel which was fun and gave us a chance to sample the local brew.

4 December 2007

Rarotonga

Today was a day of relaxation. Spent most of the day in a hammock on the beach, only getting up to collect a coconut which had fallen off the tree in front of me. one of the locals showed me how to open it- tastes so much better than those from the supermarket. i left the remains on the floor and was woken up by a mother hen and her chicks feasting on it. i forgot to mention the island is overrun by chickens and cocnut trees. (PS thanks dad for warning me about not sitting under a coconut tree - I witnessed a cocnut narrowly missing someones head- and beleive me they fall with a thud!).

Late in the afternoon Jules and me decided to try out our snorkling gear, but the area we went to didn't really have much to see.

In the evening we had a BBQ on the terrace and when it got dark we all ventured down to the beach with our torches to check out the crabs - it is amazing as the whole beach comes alive.

5th December

Rarotonga

Today we deceided to check out the Cultural Village to get more of an insight into the Polynesian culture. the village consisted of various huts in which we were given a demonastration on various aspects of Cook Island culture for example fishing, medicine, clothing, migration & coconut demos. This was followed by a traditional meal served on a plate woven out of banana leaves. we then got to shake out hips and learn the traditional Polynesian dancing before being shown how to do it properly by the islanders.

6th December 2007

Rarotonga

My favourite activity so far - horse riding along the beach. Having not ridden before I was given a quick lesson my roommate Lisa using my snorkle as reins -so that I was happy that I could at least stop! Anyway i took to it straight away and was even cantering along the beach. the rout took us to this amazing waterfall where we all had a swim before heading back along the beach and in the sea so the water came up to our knees. I am thinking of doing it again next week - and will hopefully try to do some more riding when I get back to England or Spain.

As if that wasn't tiring enough a few of us decided to go on a the Raemaru montain trek later on in the day. Determined not to be put off by my Yoesmite experience i am please to say that i made it to the top, although I gave the final 15m which is up a vertical rock face a miss.

7th December 2007

Rarotonga

As i was hoping to do more snorkling on the island we decided to move down to a hostel on Muri beach. the room is amazing as it has large patio doors which open straight onto the beach - the views are stunning. Tried out my snorkling gear round the coral reefs and saw some amazing fish. Got chased by a trigger fish which was a bit scarey as they have a nasty bite, but escaped in one piece!

I have been advised to try another snorkling site nearby where someone saw a puffa fish and turtle so I may try that later in the week.

In the evening Lisa's frined gabby kindly dorve us into town where we checked out some of the local hangouts.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

About sarah-cannell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cook Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.