Existing Member?

The Inner Harbour

The Inner Harbour

EGYPT | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [198] | Scholarship Entry

It was a beautiful scene that gave pleasure for my senses, quenched my boredom, and satisfied my desire. It was breath-taking scenery that my eyes felt this is where they belong. Looking at the horizon, from Baltimore’s inner harbor, and meditating in the atmosphere; noticing that the smiles on faces, and sparkles in eyes of happy souls, were definitely the main factor for the outstanding spirit in the harbor.

I was in Baltimore for a summer course in Johns Hopkins University along with one of the best people I know. We left our residence early in the morning to seek an adventure in the touristic attractions of the city, and could not have made a better choice than the inner harbor!
It is true the saying that getting lost helps you find yourself. How did I end up here with people I barely know. We got lost in the middle of our path, as we leave the bus at the wrong stop in the middle of a highway. But that was not the typical “bliss of solitude” kind of adventure. I got to know my colleagues very well that night , I have felt I knew them for years after just one night, when we all felt that the only shelter was each other’s hearts.

The night’s darkness started to fade in and the stars started sparkling clearly. In the middle of no where, we were desperate to find a way back, with absolutely no communication devices. Our wrists were shaking of fear, while the watches around them were ticking as the time was passing. It was a miracle when we saw a flashing light of a police car coming from a distance.

We are heavily breathing out of excitement and trying to wave for the car, but we didn't try for long until it went by very quickly and we remained unnoticed. We desperately sat down, looking into each others' eyes. Some of us had tears flowing down their cheeks, and some were just staring at the beauty of our company, although it was scary to be in an unknown place. Miraculously, another police car comes and this time we had to stand in the middle of the high way to be noticed, and start moving to make sure the car realizes that we are in the middle of its way. We were very grateful that we were able to get its attention! It was really shocking that we were treated as suspects for being in that area rather than victims, it took a while of investigation and questioning until they agreed to return us back safely.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About saraelsharawy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.