Existing Member?

Waraji

My Video scholarship 2010 entry: Waraji

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 27 July 2010 | Views [356] | Scholarship Entry

In the summer of 2009 when I went to Uganda to make a documentary in an orphanage I met a local journalist who introduced me to a very different side of Uganda. One of the stories that touched me most was the production of waraji in a village called Jinja. waraji is a local Ugandan alcohol whose production is mostly driven by widows needing to support their children.

When I got to Jinja village I was shocked to discover the hard living conditions and how dangerous waraji production is. After I spent some time with the local people that live and work there I realised they have very little but they’re happy, because the waraji business means they can feed their children and pay school fees. It was hard for me to understand how people living in such conditions could be happy and their positivity taught me to look at life differently.

The main challenge I faced was the language barrier as some of them speak Luganda and I couldn’t communicate with them directly so I invested more effort and time to build a relationship and connect to the local people.

As a documentary maker I aim to travel the world to explore and investigate different cultures and share them with the world.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About sara


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.