Existing Member?

Meet the Locals

My Scholarship entry - Through Local Eyes

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 3 October 2012 | Views [134] | Scholarship Entry

When I first finished high school my girlfriend and I traveled to Thailand with the aim to see the real side of the country. We ended up in a small town named Mae Sot that was filled with Burmese refugees. After several days of mixing with the locals we discovered a group of three hundred or so refugees that lived on garbage dump recycling garbage to make a living. These people were some of the most kindest people I have ever met. On the following visit to Thailand I came back with a camera determined to tell their story. I have spent the last three years studying at AFTRS graduating from a Foundation Diploma as well as Grad Cert in Documentary. After this I got a job working on a low budget motorsport talk show named InsideSPEED that airs on Speed TV. Although I am on minimum wage and work countless hours a week, I have gained some invaluable experience. I am naturally a very curious person and am fascinated by foreign cultures and experiences. As a filmmaker my aim is to direct documentaries that allow me to immerse myself in other cultures and represent their stories visually and creatively. If giving this opportunity, it would go along way in helping me achieve my ambitions.

About santogeorge


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.