Existing Member?

Volvo Ocean Race Cape Town Nov 2008

Nov 15th Volvo Ocean Race Cape Town 2008

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 15 December 2008 | Views [1566]

SAT 15th NOV Volvo Ocean Race 2008- 2009 – Leg 2 – Cape Town

All excitement was up as hundreds of supporters made their way through the Table Bay waters to show support for the start of the second leg of the around the world Volvo Ocean Yacht race.

The stream lined beauties glided gracefully through the water at surprising pace given the light breeze, keeping all at awe. With eyes fixed on the majestic yachts, helicopters circled above, broadcasting this phenomenon live around the globe.

The busy shipping lanes and chaotic waters filled with spectators caused postponed start from a scheduled 13.00h till closer to 14.00h.The fluctuating SW blowing approximately at 5 Knots showed signs of some hidden breeze, encouraging teams to do their utmost to ensure a good start.

As the crews bustled for the best position in the final minutes leading to the start, the Puma team managed to pull slightly ahead of the fleet. In what seemed like mere seconds the yachts were out of sight to round the first mark in Blouburg.

Some cunning strategizing was seen as the teams battled to maintain their speed back through Table Bay towards Granger Bay. The wind dropped dramatically to a mere 3 Knots, then lifted again after the yachts passed Granger Bay, as we watched the Volvo yachts leaving the Cape of Good Hope for India, this positive omen set an exciting tone to see who would make it in the fastest time between ports.

Looking at this intrepid journey filled with tactical intrigue, all respect must be given to all the teams. At the mercy of the wind and sea the Volvo Ocean race is undeniably the most demanding and challenging team sporting event in the world.

 

About sandy_power


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.