Existing Member?

Around the World Anything to avoid a real job...

Perth

USA | Thursday, 23 October 2008 | Views [424] | Comments [4]

I can't believe that I have been in Perth for six weeks as of tomorrow!!!  The time is absolutley flying by here....

I am living in a little suburb called Mosman Park in a really nice area of Perth.  My house, and roommates are all fantastic and they've been taking great care of me.  It has been non-stop since I got here!

I landed in Perth after a long flight from NZ on a Friday and started working that following Monday!!  (Typical me!) Fran was able to get me retail work at French Connection and they were desperate for help because the manager was headed on vacation!  I've been working almost full time there and they've been treating me really well. 

Its a ten minute walk to the train station or a bus passes right by my house.  Its only about 15 minutes to get to work in a town called Claremont -- the center is full of cafes, expensive shops, and pubs!  Its been a great way to get to know the area and keep my busy while my three housemates (Fran, Em, and Alex) are all at work -- all three of them are lawyers!!  Can you imagine our dinner conversations sometimes!?!

I was really suprised at how overwhelmingly different it is here! Fran had warned me that it was a small city but I still didn't imagine everything closing at 5:30 and a city that is really dead by 7pm!!  The city itself has a great feel for it, but here, the culture is to hang out in local suburbs full of bars and restaurants instead - making it a ghost city!

But, I am really getting used to the laid back lifestyle here.  I can walk to the beach in 15 minutes and they're absolutely beautiful!  It is only the middle of spring and we've already had several 85degree days -- I think I might melt in the summer!!

I've been working a lot during the week but am keeping up with my social life on weekends - of course!  We've been on tours of the wine valley 40min from here, went to an opening day at a horse track, spent the day on my housemates boat, and been to an all day festival.  There is always something to do in the sun!! 

I am really enjoying it here and will upload some photos soon!

Comments

1

Cassandra, Great to hear from you. I think you meant 6 weeks...time does fly very fast. Glad to read you are finding your pace down under, it sounds beautiful.
Keep sending updates for those of us behind in the good old US of A.
Hugs and kisses
Martine

  Martine Goldberg Oct 24, 2008 4:18 AM

2

Looks great..We are so happy for you, and are living vicariously through your adventures..Keep having fun so we can have fun too!

Love you
Gerard and Denise

  Gerard Zuffante Oct 24, 2008 12:34 PM

3

Hej Didi.
Jag skriver på svenska det känns bäst så. Vad jag skulle vilja vara i dina kläder nu.Det låter som om de har det jättebra o stortrivs.Det är mysigt att kunna följa din resa via foton o reseberättelser. Här hemma går allt mot en kallare årstid. Vi åker på en 5 dagars tur till Malaga på onsdag,det är så långt vi kommer.
Pussar o kramar från mamma muu o hennes familj.

Må så gott o var rädd om dig.Lena-Maria

  Lena-Maria Mood Oct 27, 2008 4:40 AM

4

Hello Casandra - Had tea with your mom today, it was nice to finally have a visit and catch up on things - she's a very busy woman! She told me about this site - I am so glad to hear your having a great time - oh to be young again and carefree! But 5:30? Do you think Allie could survive? Let's see some photo's!
Love,
Mary

  Mary Danylik Oct 30, 2008 4:48 AM

About sands029


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.