Existing Member?

Thinking Swiss

Week Two

SWITZERLAND | Monday, 9 June 2014 | Views [349]

Could that be angelica? Yes, indeed, a four foot beauty growing in a corner of the strawberry bed I walk by on my way between living quarters and eatery. Check first to see if anyone is looking, then casually break off some new growth. Very delicious after a breakfast of Swiss muesli and yogurt. So many wonderful little gardens tucked in among the tall chalets planted with leeks, lettuce, cabbage etc. And the Swiss walk everywhere. Yesterday to the mountains with their aluminum walking poles and designer pack backs. It’s a national obsession. On the streets little electric delivery vehicles making their morning rounds, so quiet you hardly hear them coming. Not sore this morning (probably will be later) after venturing up to the deep snow above timberline yesterday. The wildflowers! Species I’ve only seen in books in bloom on south slopes, among rock rubble. 

 

Last class yesterday evening with ‘wolfii' (EGS founder Dr. Wolfgang Schirmacher). I got brave and asked for advice in writing about the psychology and politics of hope. Long silence. Figured my choice was not ponderous enough for philosophical interrogation. Then some truly profound advice and insight (from my hastily written notes):

 

Four lessons from his colleague the French philosopher Jacque Derrida: postpone judgment, act decisively without belief, let go of anthropocentrism and let be without the burden of metaphysics. Then deconstruct the present in order to construct a life. Unforced forgiveness, easy sovereignty, a simple joy in understanding, a lesser meaning given to the impossible, living, just living. 

 

Wow! This is getting fun. Today another German, Siegfried Zielinski. Hope you are all well and thriving. 

 

 

About samhitt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.