Existing Member?

One Million Little Lights

One Million Little Lights

THAILAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

The one million minds surrounding me tingled with anticipation as we huddled closer, the full moon casting a soft glow against our cheeks. On a still and silent night in November, I stood as a single body in a sea of many and clutched my paper lantern tightly against my chest. I could hear angelic mantras being softly chanted in unison toward the large statue of Buddha standing proud and tall over all its people. Thousands of flames danced and flickered in the crowd with the passing wind. They illuminated the faces around me with a warm, amber light that lit up each smile and gaze. It occurred to me that every face I studied held onto a history vastly different from the rest. We were united by our differences and open to new friendships, self-discovery and awe inspired wonder for the moment ahead. It was clear that every one of us was gathered here for a similar purpose. Some carried burdens and hidden regret, while others held dreams high above their heads for the world to see. This sanctuary filled with people was a place for release, and as a gentle voice echoed over the intercom, our hearts raced, hands clutched tightly together, and our bodies stood closely joined by the power of reflection.

I slowly began to realize that a moment such as this is a true rarity. Our lives are so caught up in a tangled web of society's influence and constant movement toward our own ambitions that we forget to slow down and appreciate unity. With my eyes closed gently shut, I made my wish and on the count of three, we let go. We let go of our differences. We let go of the things that suddenly didn't seem to matter anymore. I noticed I had begun to laugh uncontrollably as salty tears glided down my cheeks. With my head turned to the sky, I watched as thousands of little lights trickled upward, operatic music accompanying their journey. In this moment, humanity was cast in the most beautiful light.

I glanced over and noticed that one lantern had the words "Keep Hope Alive" scrawled along its thin paper shell in black ink. I couldn't help but think that these lanterns hold the heartfelt wishes of everyone who is holding so tightly onto a dream. They hold whispered words for the ones we have lost, the love for friends and family by our sides and happiness for those that we’ve never known.Tonight I stood as one wish in the crowd of many and with perfect strangers released into the sky a paper lantern representing peace. That is enough to keep the hope alive for anybody.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About samanthapolzin


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.