Existing Member?

My Adventure Around the World

Alice Springs, Darwin, Cairns

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 11 September 2009 | Views [365] | Comments [1]

1/9
 
Had a lay in today and got up around half 9, it was lovely!  The other 3 girls in my room had left at 6ish so I had the room to myself.  I went and booked a tour of the National Parks in Darwin and my flight to Cairns.  Later on I went over to Miriam and Marissa's hostel and chilled by the pool with them.  In the evening, Johan, Daniel, Susie, Andrea, Nina, Miriam, Marissa and I all came to my hostel and we cooked a last group dinner.  We then went back to Bojangles but this time just for one.  Did some laundry but managed to leave a tissue in a pocket.  No driers left either so I had to shake the tissue off and then hang eveything around my bed. 
 
2/9
 
Got up and had to shake some more tissue off my clothes before being able to put some of them away.  What a mess!  Ended up having to go out and buy lunch as someone had stolen the other half of my Subway that I had left in the fridge.  Got the bus over to the desert park.  It was a nice park.  Went on a walk through the red kangaroo enclosure and saw a bird show.  There was a really good nocturnal house.  It was really hot today.  Spoke to home about my latest plan, not sure whether that will happen though...Cooked dinner with Andrea with enough left over for lunch tomorrow.

3/9

Bags in storage, out to buy some postcards and then me and Andrea headed to the reptile centre.  It was awesome, I got to hold an olive python, blue tongued skink, bearded dragon, shingleback lizard and then a Spencers Goanna called Frank.  It was a surprise to handle all those and the handling was free!  Back to the hostel for lunch and then waiting around for the train, got a taxi to the station and then got the train at 5.55pm.  My bag weighed 22kgs so had to separate some stuff, luckily you are allowed two bags.  Got hungry quickly  and ate lots of the food that I had brought to last for the whole journey.  Got off to sleep ok, lots of room and really comfy.

4/9

On the train for most of the day today.  AT 9am we stopped at Katherine and could choose a gorge exploration option.  I went for a walk, cheapest option!  Really nice views.  Then got a tour of the town of Katherine.  Back to the train for 12.30, it was supposed to leave at 1.00 but beacuse of a Freight Train coming the other way we didn't pull out of the station until 3.20!  Eventually we got to Darwin at 7.15pm. There were lots of termite mounds along the way.  Got to the hostel and then met Andrea and we went out for a quick dinner then back to the hostel to pack up my 10kgs worth of stuff I was allowed to take on the Kakadu/Litchfield trip.

5/9

Trip started today and off to Litchfield National Park.  The group is really quiet, big difference from the groovy Grape tour.  Went for a swim in Florence Falls.  We then went for a swim in some rock pools.  All without crocs- so we were told!  The fish in Florence Falls started nibbling my feet.  We then went and saw some large termite mounds.  Then off to a billabong for a wildlife cruise.  Saw some freshwater and some saltwater crocs which was really cool!  Lots of different bird species around as well.  Saw 2 freshies fighting.  Got to camp and had a surprise, sleeping in tents with beds and mattresses, no swag bags!

6/9

5am start again, common theme with tours.  We went over to Ubirr to look at some ancient Aboriginal rock art.  It was really cool some of it.  When they saw things for the first time they would paint it so there were some paintings of white men.  Then we clambered up to a rocky lookout to get an awesome view over the Nardab floodplain.  All different habitats in a 360 degree view.  Then we went to Maguk (Barramundi Gorge).  Really nice pool to have a swim in.  We then climbed to the top of the gorge and swam in the water pools that feed the waterfalls.  Sleeping in tents again.  Played the didgeridoo before bed.

7/9

Up at 5am again and off we went to see Twin Falls.  We had a little boat ride then a walk to it.  It was cool, couldn't swim there though because of crocs.  After that we headed to Jim Jim Falls which is more like a gorge in the dry season.  We were allowed to swim in there which was good as the walk was climbing all over rocks and involved getting hot and sweaty, nice.  Later on Marc said he was sure he saw a croc in there!  Back to camp for lunch and then we were taken back to Darwin.  Found Sandra, did laundry and then headed out for some beers with Marc and Sandra.

8/9

This morning me and Sandra headed to croc cove in the city.  It was reall cool, we even got to hold a hatchling that was nearly a 1m long!  How cool!  We watched the big crocs get fed, then some lizards and a couple of snakes.  We also held a bearded dragon.  Really good time there.  We then went to the lagoon for some relaxation.  Back to the hostel for dinner and then out for a couple of beers.  Had to go back early and back up our stuff and get some sleep as we were getting the 2.45am shuttle to the airport.

9/9

Up at 2am to get ready to catch the shuttle to the airport.  Flight was at 5.05am.  It was a bit delayed but we still ended up in Cairns earlier than we thought we would.  Got into the city and set about planning the next section of Oz.  We booked the Cape Tribulation trip, Whitsunday Islands and Fraser Island.  In the evening we walked around the lagoon.  Came back to our room to find more than 12 people on the balcony.  They then went out at midnight and came back at 4am.  We decided we would move rooms because of that and that the room stunk as it was lived in by 5 guys!

10/9

We managed to change rooms with no hassle so that was good.  We went out to Kuranda today.  Got the bus to the Skyrail station and then started the 7.5km ride.  There was a couple of stops along the way with lookouts and guided tours.  When we arrived at Kuranda we haad a look around and then went to the venom zoo.  Saw lots of spiders and was able to hold another olive python.  We then had a really nice slow train ride back to Cairns.  Some lovely scenery along the way.  In the evening I thought about the rest of what I will do in Oz.

11/9

Today we went to the Botanic Gardens and then over to the lagoon.  That is pretty much all we did today.  Tomorrow we are off to Cape Tribulation which is supposed to be really good.

xx

Comments

1

You seem to be packing an awlful lot into your days, your'll sleep for a week at least when you get home. Sounds like fun though, not sure about handling all those reptiles-rather you than me. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Love Mum xxxxx

  Mum Sep 11, 2009 7:59 PM

About sam_jackson86


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.