Existing Member?

My Adventure Around the World

Canberra and Melbourne

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 18 August 2009 | Views [290]

Back again, it has been a while...

3/8

I had to get up this morning as my bus to Canberra was leaving at 9am.  It was a 4hr journey, most of which I typically slept through!  Lots of leg room on the bus so that was an added bonus.  When I got to Canberra it was more by luck than judgement that I found the hostel!  8 person dorm, with a TV, a TV I know how exciting!  I made my way up Anzac Parade and past all the various war memorials up there.  I went to the actual Anzac Memorial and attached museum.  It was really interesting.  There was a room about WW1 and one about WW2, aeroplanes, and a Hall of Honour-with the biggest collection of Victoria Crosses in the world.  There was also a tomb of the unknown soldier.

4/8

I checked out a 10am, went to the post office to get rid of all the stuff I had accumulated in Sydney before heading over to Old Parliament House.  I took the free guided tour.  It was cool to see.  I then went up to the current Parliament House and again took the free tour.  To kill some more time before my 23.55pm bus, I also went over to the Canberra Museum and Gallery.  There was more emphasis on gallery than museum though.  But nevermind as it was also free!  Spent the evening in the hostel talking to some teachers who were from Adelaide and were taking about 40 kids around the sites of the city, rather them than me!

5/8

Got to Melbourne at 8am after surprisingly not that much sleep on the bus, how annoying as I can usually sleep anywhere, even anytime of day!  Walked to the station about 20mins away only to be told that they don't have luggage storage so I had to cart my bags all the way back down the road.  The station to Ash's house is not the main station where the buses go.  Met Ell at the station at 9am.  We went to the old jail.  Really cramped conditions back in the day.  We also experienced being arrested in the watch house.  Then we went over to the botanic gardens (everywhere in Oz has these) and then we tried to find the F1 track at Albert Park, no luck there though.  Walked some more distance before getting the free tram to near Ell's hostel.  Got his snowboard bag, had some dinner and then headed over to Ash's.  Really nice to see him and of course he comes with the added bonus of free accomodation!!

6/8

Had a lay in today, then got a text saying the YHA wouldn't refund Ell so he would come over later.  Worked out quite well for me as I then got to laze around for even longer.  I dozed and read my book for a bit and then finally decided to get up at aout 12.30!  I played guitar hero for ages, oh my god I was rubbish!  Went out trying to find cake but most places were shut as it was after 5.  Ash treated us to dinner at the pub down the road.  really nice chicken parma.  Ell checked out of the hostel even though they didn't give him a refund so I have a room mate now. 

7/8

We had a lazy day today.  Played on the PS3, some Pro Evo and some more Guitar Hero.  We did venture out in the afternoon for some cake and to grab dinner.  We watched the Ashes in the evening, how rubbish was that-although Tom one of Ash's housemates thought it was hilarious.  He gave us a crashcourse in the rules of AFL.  Guitar Hero skills improving after todays effort!

8/8

Today I finally went back into the city.  I went on the Neighbours tour, whoo!!!!  We watched the episode of Toadie and Dee's wedding on the way and then Scott and Charlene's wedding on the way back.  I saw the school that they used to do the outside filming at for 22 years.  Then off to the see Grease Monkeys and Carpenters Mechanics where Declan's and Karl's cars were.  Then they took us to Harolds veggie patch before going round the corner to Lassiters.  Lassiters is really small!  I saw Stingrays' memorial, Charlie's Bar, Harold's Store, Lassiters hotel, the vet clinic, Toadie's office and then the lake.  The famous Lassiters Lake is more like a little pond!  Then onto Ramsay Street, how exciting was that!  Unfortunately there was no filming.  The street is also really small in real life.  I had my picture taken by most of the houses and got to hold a Ramsay Street sign for some pics too.  Before the tour started, I met Janelle Timmins.  After the tour was over I met Ell, we had lunch and then went to the MCG to Essendon v Brisbane Lions (87-87).  Good game although I was bored at the start when I didn't understand to much of what was going on.  It was really cold.  We got wicked seats for only $20.  Got a text from Mum a few days later saying that Tom Cruise had been watching that game too.

9/8

I rung Uncle Roy this morning and then booked my flight over to Hobart.  After that I went to the Immigration Museum.  Learnt about the various policies over the years.  In the evening much to the amusement of Tom, Ash and Ben, saw the Aussies smash England in the 4th Ashes text to set up the last one nicely.  1-1 now.

10/8

Today I had another lazy morning.  I took it easy and eventually went out and checked out the buses for my trip to the airport tomorrow.  I then got the tram over to St Kilda.  Had a look around and then headed to the Elephant and Wheelbarrow pub for the world famous Neighbours night.  That was really good fun.  I met Steve Parker, Amy Greenwood (who went out with Lance) and rocking Dr Karl Kennedy.  Dylan Timmons came on briefly and did a boyband tribute thing, it was really funny!  After all the trivia and meeting, Paul Robinson came on and sung and then Dr Karl's band Waiting Room sung with Karl.  Donna Freedman was supposed to be there but she was filming late.

11/8

It was raining this morning so we decided to laze about for a bit.  Eventually we left and headed out to the museum, we went via the tram as the travel ticket you get includes the buses, trams and trains so no money to be saved in walking!  The museum was cool, there was an exhibition on a Day in Pompei about the eruption in 79AD.  There was lots of artefacts that had been excavated.  There was also some body casts.  It was weird seeing some of the positions that some people died in.  Some were crawling obviously trying to get away when the ash and proclaystic flow got to much and ended their lives. 

That is all I have time for now, check again soon for another update on how I got on in Taz.

xx

About sam_jackson86


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.