Existing Member?

My Adventure Around the World

Christchurch and Auckland-take two for both!

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 24 July 2009 | Views [298] | Comments [2]

So this is the last New Zealand entry before heading onto another new country (the ninth one)

18/7

Back to the reality of hostels now, checked back in at the same one we stayed in the first time in Christchurch as it was nice enough.  I went and got a Oz guidebook so I can at least start trying to figure out what I am going to do there.  I also got a box to send stuff home in, quite a lot of space at the moment but we shall see what happens with that!  Last night with Ell tonight as he is going to Methven tomorrow to be nearer the ski fields.  Got to start remembering there is only going to be me now, I bet I still look for the others every now and again though out of habit.

19/7

So bit of an emotional morning as Ell left.  Will be weird not seeing him everyday after being with him for the last 6 months.  Emma and I went on the gondola, there were some nice views but as it was windy we didn't stay up there very long at all.  There was a little time travel ride as well that told the history of the Banks Peninsula.  We then did some souvenir shopping-box is almost full now, whoops!!  In the evening, me, Emma and Si went to see Harry Potter, that was good.  So tired, need some serious sleep!

20/7

Today I finally saw and swam with the Hectors dolphins which can only be found in Akaroa.  I had a one and a half hour scenic drive out there.  Really beautiful day.  The sea was choppy so the sea sickness kicked in and they put me in the water first to get me off the boat and try and make me feel better.  It did work thank god.  The dolphins were really cute and small.  The biggest they get is 1.4m (female).  They swam through the group and got really close to us.  At one point there was a pod of two one side another pod of 2 another side and a pod of 3 coming through us!!  There was also a seal swimming nearby too.  We saw penguins on the way out and more seals on the way back to the harbour.  I had on a dry suit so I got to wear normal clothes on underneath, no swim wear necessary.  I got freezing cold hands and feet though!

21/7

I got up at 5am to see if I could go hot air ballooning but it was cancelled, so back to bed I went!  Didn't really know what to do with myself for the day so I went to a little aquarium/kiwi house in the centre of town.  It was a bit rubbish really.  I did see some sharks being fed though and some kiwis in the exhibit they had.  I got a better look at them than I did of the ones I saw in Rotorua.  Cooked pasta and sauce for the first time with no one there and had success.  I treated myself to the cinema in the evening as it is cheaper on Tuesdays.  I saw Transformers 2- it was good and I had the whole row to myself!

22/7

Me and Emma tried to go paramotoring today but the wind wasn't right.  I did however get to dress up in the one piece suit, get the helmet on and backpack which I think had a parachute in it.  Some really funny pics from that.  We then had to wait around for the fudge kitchen tour.  That was cool, the whole kitchen just smelt lovely!  We saw them make fudge and got to try lots of different flavours, I think 7 or 8 and even were treated to some hot runny fudge.  I ate so much and got really full up, but the lady said keep helping yourself so I thought it would be rude not to!  Early to bed as hopefully ballooning tomorrow....

23/7

So shock horror no hot air ballooning and then no paramotoring, what a rubbish day!  Spent most of the day talking to the Dutch guy in my room, he was giving me tips on things to do in Oz and I was sharing my Thailand tips.  The most exciting thing I did all day was go to the post office and send a box home. 

24/7

This morning I packed up my stuff and sat in the tv lounge until 12 when Emma and Si came to get me to take me to the airport.  There was a few tears and I am properly by myself now.  Nice amount of leg room on my Jet Star flight, nothing like I thought, I was expecting EasyJet standards!  I arrived in Auckland this afternoon and got the bus to the hostel I stayed in the first time I was here.  I'm now sitting here typing this up for you all!

Last full day in NZ today, strange to finally be leaving after 2 months.  It's been fun though even if the last bit was just hanging around in Christchurh and having the weather let me down with the activities I wanted to do!  Off to Sydney tomorrow for a whole new adventure.....

xxx

Comments

1

New Zealand has sounded wonderful can't wait till I see all the pics. You sounded like you had a great time there. Shame you will be on your own in Aus but you will no doubt meet new people and some of them will be on their own also and then you will have others to share new experiences with. Have fun in your 9th country and keep the blog upto date, it makes good reading. Hope you don't find too many spiders in Aus. Lots of love Mum xxxxxxxx

  Mum Jul 24, 2009 8:04 PM

2

Hi Sam

We've really enjoyed reading your blog about all your travels in NZ. It's a shame you and Ell are going your seperate ways,perhaps you may meet up later in Oz? Whatever you do we wish you all the very best and keep up the blog!
Love Lin and Kim xx

  Kim and Lin Jul 28, 2009 5:09 AM

About sam_jackson86


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.