Existing Member?

My Adventure Around the World

Franz Josef, Wanaka and Queenstown

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 16 July 2009 | Views [422]

Hello again, I will try this again as I did it yesterday and then the computer lost everything!

3/7

We had to get up at 7 this morning to go and do the glacier walk.  We got kitted out with trousers, jacket, boots and crampons.  The boys went off in the fast group leaving me and Emma with the medium paced group (along with a bunch of really slow Malaysians!).  There was a long walk of about 2kms just to get to the glacier before we finally got to don the crampons and walk on it.  When we did it was really cool and we got some good views.  We got to go in a little ice cave, down some ice stairs the guide cut out and posed with the ice axe.  We only did the half day walk as it was cheaper and less tiring!

4/7

We left Franz Josef and started the long drive to Wanaka.  Luckily the Haast Pass was open, to snow chains, so we got through.  It had been shut in the morning when we left so it was touch and go if we would get through.  On the way we stopped at the Fox Glacier, we couldn't get very close due to rock fall.  We are staying in a nice self-contained motel unit with sky tv, bonus for me when they all go off to the snow!  It is actually cheaper than some hostels we have been staying in which is cool.

5/7

Today we were hoping to skydive but there was too much cloud.  Rather than wait around until the afternoon on the off chance we could do it then, the others decided to go up the mountains.  I stayed behind so not to spend $100+ on hiring and lessons etc only to get fed up in the afternoon like I did with the skiing.  I ended up watching National Geographic all day as we had somewhat limited sky channels.  I did our laundry and changed my flights so a fairly productive day.  I spoke to Mum, Dad and Mark in the evening so that was nice- love you all and miss you!

6/7

Today we were up early again hoping to snowboard and again it didn't happen (slight relief there I must admit!)  Instead we ended up at Cardrona Ski Field.  I booked myself in for a snowboard lesson.  I went on the beginners one even though the staff tried to get me on the beginners plus one, I really don't think my attempt at National Park in North Island really counts!  It was cool and I could actually do everything unlike the skiing.  The boys seemed impressed with how much I had learnt in two hours and told me to keep practicing.  Once the lesson was over and had had lunch I went back out and had another practice until I fell and landed splat on my bad knee, got some nice bruises- thought it best to stop before I really hurt myself!

7/7

We went to Puzzling World this morning, it was cool.  There was a room with hologram faces that looked like they were following you around the room.  There was another room where one person appeared really tall in one corner and someone else really small in another corner, really funny!  Nice journey through the mountains out to Queenstown.  Took a while to fins accommodation as it is a bit more expensive here and packed!  We found ourselves a nice little apartment.  Then hit the I-Site to find out what activities we can do while we are here.

8/7

This morning we went on the Shotover Jet boat.  That was cool, at some points we were going over was 100mm.  We went really close to some canyon walls and did some 360 degree turns which were fun.  Emma went and did the 134m bungy and a swing thing over a canyon.  The rest of us went up the Gondola, this time there were some good views unlike Rotorua as the sky was nearly clear.  The boys went on the luge and I played photographer.  Ell then did a 34m bungy.  I have never seen him looked so scared as he did before it.  Of course me and Si were totally sympathetic and didn't try and wind him up at all!  We have booked to try and skydive again, third time lucky maybe, maybe not!

9/7

Up early this morning for a supposed Lord of the Rings tour.  I was somewhat let down as there was only 3 scenes we saw.  I did get to dress up with a cloak and Elf sword and hold an Aragorn replica sword for a picture though so it wasn't all bad.  I saw where Boromir died and where Sam and Frodo were looking over a verge at the oliphants before Faramir caught them.  There was some nice scenery along the way and I went to Paradise.  Afterwards, I went to the British Lolly Shop- brought lots of nice English stuff you can't get in the supermarkets.  I even got a creme egg twisted bar so I managed to not miss out entirely on the creme egg thing this year!

10/7

We were supposed to skydive this morning but shock horror it was cancelled again!  I tried instead to get on the $300 full day Trails of Middle Earth tour but it was fully booked.  I ended up on a half day one with another company.  I saw where the Pillars of the King were, where Arwyn had Frodo on her horse in the river after he had been stabbed, before she flooded the river.  I also saw where Isildor (not sure of spelling) got killed and Deer Park Heights where the Rohiran were escaping from Edoras.  There was also some off roading which was really fun, driving through the river and then up a set of stairs with no foot on the accelerator.  I also got to pan for gold.  I found some but it was just not worth trying not to loose so I put it back in the river.

11/7

6.30am alarm again but too many clouds to sky dive again, its obviously not meant to be.  Luckily I had rung up the company to save us walking down to town for no reason to only walk back up 5 mins later.  We went panning for gold although I didn't actually do it as I got cold enough yesterday.  I helped Ell find some though.  We then had a really nice pie-steak and mushroom.  We then finally hit the road properly for Te Anau, our base for the Milford Sound Cruise.  The YHA wanted $26 just for a dorm, but we found a hotel room for $50 only $25 each giving us an en-suite, tv, fridge, tea and coffee for free and a kettle in the room.  Not bad!  Good spot Si for that one!

So that's it for now I have not updated my dairy anymore than that so I'm off to do that now before going on the Cadburys tour this afternoon-free choc yay!

xxx

About sam_jackson86


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.