Existing Member?

Between Life and Death in Luxor and Aswan

The Romantic Pharaoh

EGYPT | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [181] | Scholarship Entry

In the middle of the River Nile, going to The Nubian Village in Aswan, the captain stopped the boat, and started to shake it to right and left in a crazy way!
We knew it was a punishment to force the boys to step down the roof, and stop dancing, and they did.
The moment he decided to sail and pass across the Aswan Dam was the moment the Aswan Dam opened causing a severe flood of water, making the boat shake and almost overturn.
Water reached us. Prayers started to rise, I picked my cellphone and called my fiancée, saying only two words:
“I’m sinking.”
A moment of silence, then I heard his voice from a full mouth:
“I’ll have my lunch, and call you back.”
~
In the presence of Pharaohs, I had a strange feeling. I was wondering in Karnak aimlessly on the Sphinx Alley, reached the Great Hypostyle Hall, sneaked in between the shrines and statues, and reached a statue that I felt a progressive desire to sit on his legs, it’s a bad thing, I know, and put me to trouble, but I felt that moment I’m in love with that good-looking pharaoh. I had to deceive the guard who knew by nature I’m going to do something odd and kept an eye on me. So, I kept hanging patiently around the statue and once I jumped into the pharaoh’s legs and asked a passenger to picture me. Unfortunately, the photo doesn’t express my feelings towards the pharaoh, as my eyes were busy looking for the guard and heart busy praying not to find me!
I can say I made a discovery: Pharaohs were very romantic.
At Edfu Temple, there are delicate paintings on the walls recording Pharaonic couples in romantic positions; Two of them hold their hands tightly, other woman holds her man’s arm by one hand, and the other surrounds his shoulder, I’ll not tell you about ‘looks’!
And near Abo Simbel Temple, for king “Ramsis ll”, there is a temple for “Nefertari”; just a royal gift to the beloved wife!
And “Hatshepsut” temple, the carved masterpiece temple in a mountain like a deep stab in the mountain’s heart, her architect “Sennmot” designed it for her. And next to it, lies the tomb of Sennmot, who was not a husband or a king to have his tomb near the royal one, but was the lover.
~
After some struggling, we made it to The Nubian Village, I stepped fast to the land, but I noticed boys were a bit late, I turned and saw they were combining having the captain in between of them and keeping to hit and kick him. Immediately I felt relieved.
When I got back to Cairo, I didn’t forget to break up.
Pic:
https://goo.gl/z3OOCL

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About sallyadel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.