Existing Member?

A trip to the unkown

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

TONGA | Sunday, 20 March 2011 | Views [678] | Scholarship Entry

How is it to be in An Adventure? is it like forgetting your cellphone at home? and feeling that you are free of attachments and noone can reach you ??... That was my definition to an adventure before i go in my biggest one..
few months ago i was told i was selected to be part of the ship for world youth program! which will take place in 4 countries! WOOhOO! So cool! BUt we will be living on board a ship! Yes! a ship that will be my home for the next 3 months and we will be visting 4 countries.. Japan.. Tonga.. Vanuatu and New Zealand.
Only Then I discovered how is it to be in an adventure where you will be all alone.. with noone who can speak your language or even can locate where you came from!
Tonga... The kingdom of Tonga .. or as the locals call it " Happy happy Tonga" ... That was a first for me " as a person who came from a city of a population of 8 millions" to see such a relaxing place and in the beginning i was very curious to know why everyone call it Happy Happy Tonga? Is it Really Happy Tonga?? are they Really Happy?
When i started some research work and knew about the GDP and the development rates which meant that Tonga was in the Least Developed countries...so why they are so Happy With That!
Opps! It turned out that i think too materialistic..as life in Happy Happy Tonga is Simpler.. people don't need MP3s .. because they all happily sing..
They don't have to go to college.. because they say that people go to college to get a job! so if u have a job Already , why bothering to go to college?? You see... So Simple!
Happiness in Tonga meant to know what you want! and to get it in the simplest ways...
That was Sali describing how happy she was in Tonga ! BE HAPPY!

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About sali


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tonga

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.