Existing Member?

Travelogues

My Scholarship Entry - A local encounter that changed my life

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 17 April 2012 | Views [356] | Scholarship Entry

The city, as seen from the southern entrance.

The city, as seen from the southern entrance.

Been living in Surabaya most of the time of my life is not always giving me a chance to explore some parts of the city. The city itself is packed with three millions population and recognized as a trade center for the eastern region of Indonesia.
 
Surabaya is a port city which has a harbour Tanjung Perak at the northern part and an international airport Juanda at the southern part, the latter is twenty kilometers away from the city proper for 45 minutes ride by means of bus or taxi.

The city heritage is marked by European buildings and Chinese old past in the form of monasteries for different kind of beliefs. The northern part has a Moslem theme, situated in a conclave called Ampel.

The city expands to the west where the land is marked with newer apartments and luxurious estates while the east is facing the sea and acclaimed for ocean park and mangrove plantation.

The city center is hectic with business, sometime jammed and becoming rough during working days. At last city is at ease at weekends and holidays. In Sundays, several roads are proclaimed to be free of motorized vehicles where people can walk or having bike ride for a few hours in the morning. The roads are crowded with people walking around with loud bands, singing on the street, street-art performers, food peddlers, some babies and dogs are also having their days out in clear air.

Despite the hot and humid air, the city is easy to tame when you have more time than just dropping by. Not to mention there are enough local food to taste. Try rawon the black soup, a culinary delight of native origin, gudeg for well cooked jackfruits, or gado-gado the Indonesian salad version.

And when you’re bored with city life, a neighboring places are within reachable distance. The mount Bromo is about three hours ride from Surabaya. Malang is a nearby town or you may go as far as the southern beach of Pacitan facing the Indian ocean. Shorter distance like Tretes on the mountain side is just 54 kilometers away.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About saigon

profile photo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.