Existing Member?

Tales of travel. Actual and imagined.

First Love.

TURKEY | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [178] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I decided to consider Turkey as a possible travel destination, was after I saw the Chanel No.5 advert (the one with Audrey Tatou). As fate would have it, I found myself in the land of cats only within the next few months on a family vacation.
Our first stop was Istanbul. Stepping out of the plane, I felt my soul take a breath of that fresh, refreshing, Istanbul air. We had not made any prior bookings but managed to get a place booked at the airport. We stayed at Sultanhamet for the next four days.
Those next four days were pure bliss. Sure we did touristy things like buy turkish lamps and jewellery, watch the whirling dervish show at the train station, and wait in long queues to enter Topkapi and Hagia Sofia, but even in this short time, the city had become home. The cheerful disposition of the turkish people, along with our nightly visits to Ali Usta for baklava, really left a sweet taste in the mouth as we set out to Cappadocia.
Ever wondered how hermets lived? Well, in Cappadocia you find your answer. With its characteristic "fairy chimneys",
Cappadocia was really a magical place. We stayed in a cave hotel and spent the days in activities like hiking and horse riding. Cappadocian towns by night are just as mesmerising as the region is by day. Restaurants and dancing fountains really liven up the atmosphere of the ex-greek towns. On our last day in Cappadocia we rode hot air balloons- As the sky lit up with the first rays of sunlight, it was inundated with an army of bright dancing balloons.
Our next stop was Pamukkale. Here I discovered that the eligibility criteria for the men was directly proportional to their pottery skills. I also discovered a beautiful white mountain, and just as I was getting ready to acquire some snow attire I realised it was scorching, and upon further inquiry, that it was not snow but the colour of the mountain- and said mountain was covered with hot springs (I had clearly not done my homework). After a few dips in the pools it was time to head back to Istanbul and catch the flight back home. We did this with heavy hearts.
Turkey- with the places, the people, the experiences and the activities, it had to offer- stole my heart.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About safar-nama


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.