Existing Member?

A Foreign Student Identity Card - the Rescuer of the Trip

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [189] | Scholarship Entry

I would never expect having a foreign student identity card will save my sightseeing of Vienna. My three hours travel by train from Budapest to Vienna passed in a moment since I was very attracted by the nature. I took out my notebook, and started to describe the beauty of the passing fields with straight and wet grass which were washed by summer rain. Another try of looking through the window covered me with the picture of passing wind turbines. While I was describing my emotions, the sound of summer rain took my attention which disappeared suddenly and was replaced by the sun shining strongly again. I have been interrupted by the loud laugh of a baby playing with his mother who attracted me for the rest of my travel. After arriving at the train station, I just jumped to the tram which had direction to the center of Vienne. I had a good time chatting with a couple who suggested taking a sightseeing bus. I saw a conductor, and came close to him to buy a ticket, but he looked at me surprisingly and in return asked the ticket from me which surprised me as well. We got off on the State Opera stop, and the conductor was blaming me on not obeying the rules, and asked me to pay a fine. He did not want to listen to me, insisting to come with him to change my last 100 dollar, and to pay him 60 euro. His assistant, who was Turk, took my ID card to read it and his face changed after reading that I am a student of Northern Cyprus, smiled, and then turned to talk with the conductor. Then conductor asked me to show my train ticket to prove that I just arrived and I was released without paying the fine. After getting released I run to metro station and bought 24 hours ticket. I could lose the chance of enjoying the beauty of Mozart’s hometown, because we got used to pay fee directly to the conductor in the transportation. That is a good lesson for the whole of my life as it taught me to be aware about local transportation regulations before travelling to foreign countries.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About sabina


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.