Existing Member?

Sana.Sini.Situ (Here, There and Everywhere)

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 16 April 2012 | Views [239] | Scholarship Entry

The tinkle of the bell swinging against the glass door announced my arrival. The warm, pungent smell of herbs and spices greeted my nostrils as I swung the door open and stepped onto the grey stone floor.
I breathed in the earthy, spicy aroma coming from the mounds of curry, cumin and turmeric powder displayed in boxes. The mix of brown, red and yellow hues of the powders lends an extra splash of color in front of the backdrop of frozen vegetables for sale.
Suddenly I felt homesick. The typical Asian scents bring back memories of my childhood where I used to tag along with my mum to the neighborhood grocery store.
I was thousands of miles away from home, in the middle of cold and snowy Norway. The sight of colorful packets of candy hanging off the racks and rows of soy sauce bottles in foreign languages is soothingly familiar. Unlike the organized and brightly-lit aisles of large chain supermarkets with its rows of cans and bottles all perfectly arranged and aligned; each rack features a large number of different products, each product displayed in small quantities
It’s only been a week, but already I was craving for food with a little more zing than the usual sliced cheese and chicken ham on bread. Apparently a staple food here, I watched as they, seemingly contented, munching similar fare for both breakfast and lunch. I admit I am a little culture shocked, especially my tastebuds.
I think longingly of the many affordable eateries dotting the major towns and cities back home in Malaysia - the taste of fresh chilies burning on my tongue, the strong smell of belacan that is appetizing to locals, yet unsavory to most foreigners.
A whopping 25% tax imposed on food and drink, it is unsurprising that most Norwegians prefer packed lunches. The combination of harsh cold climate for most of the year, thin soils, and mountainous terrain, rendered a lot of land unsuitable for farming, thus a high reliance on imported food.
A whole world of difference, not just in miles.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About sabaripen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.