Existing Member?

Ireland 2009 Stories from my travels in Ireland.

So I'm in Dublin......???

IRELAND | Sunday, 29 March 2009 | Views [549] | Comments [5]

Yep, definitely in Dublin...not Saskatoon. Not at all.

The first day was all traveling. You know flying, waiting, more flying and some more waiting. I left Saskatoon on March 25th at 10:30 am and arrived in Toronto to a three hour wait. There I bought some snacks and some water (exciting, I know). Then I flew from Toronto to London on a 6 and a half hour flight (I watched Rock 'n Rolla which was really good). The airport in London was really big and everyone was going everywhere really fast and there were like 3 or 4 terminals and I had to take a bus and stuff!? I got a bit lost and the gate numbers were not put up until half an hour before boarding time. So I waited around for awhile and eventually wandered over to my gate. This lady talked to me as we waited for our flight to start boarding, she had crazy (not good crazy) hair and makeup and was from P.E.I.

I boarded the plane and flew from London to Dublin. When I got there I had to go through a million security gates. The last one I was at had a grumpy man at the counter with lots of questions like  "What do you plan to do while you're here?" I told him that I planned to find work and he said I wasn't permitted to work in Ireland. He was wrong. I showed him my visa and he was all "Well, you picked a bad time to come." and I was all "I'm going to ignore that." Then I did.

When I left the Airport I took a cab to my first Hostel, Abigail's Hostel on Aston Quay right on the River Liffey. It was pretty sweet and the people were generally nice. I had 5 roommates, 3 from Russia and 2 from Spain. The second day I slept a lot and wandered around town. I also went to the USIT center (They're partnered with SWAP and Travel Cuts, the agencies that helped get me here) for my orientation but missed most of it because I slept in...oops. I rescheduled and am going on Monday. Hopefully after that I'll have a better idea of what I'm supposed to do.

I'm at a new hostel now. It's called Kinlay House, the vibe is way cooler and its a lot bigger than Abigail's. They have so much more here. A dining room with a TV, a kitchen, a TV room, 3 more floors of rooms and bathrooms. They also have luggage/locker storage and a laundry room. It's a bit more expensive but I had some vouchers for a couple nights free. I got a really good deal. :)

Oh and today I picked up a cell phone(Vodaphone, pay as you go)...that was an adventure. I walked to the Vodaphone store(it was 10 minute walk or so) and had no trouble getting there. For some reason I decided that it would be a good idea to take a different route back. It wasn't, I got lost so I just headed in what I thought was the right direction. It turns out it was the right direction but I had passed the hostel on the way back. Like, REALLY passed it, it took me around 40 minutes to get back.

At first I was feeling super lonely. I think it may have also been shock. EVERYTHING is different here but now that I have the internet and a phone I can converse more easily with friends and family. I'm slowly getting used to things here and am starting to have a better time. :)

Thanks for all the love and support,

Samantha, Sam, Samalam, or whatever you may happen to call me.

Comments

1

Woot! Okay so I finally figured out why you are all the way over in Ireland !! WOW! This is so cool Sam! I think its fabulous and sooo interesting. Please keep us up to date through your blog!!

I can't believe how mature/intelligent you are ... actually going on a work exchange and figuring out how to deal with culture shock in the process! Super!

Send some pix!! Avoid crazy-grumpy!!
xo Lee

  Lee Mar 29, 2009 4:33 AM

2

I like it! A**holes that tell you rude things like that are what make life funny hahaha. Also, on the upside you might get lost and find a really handsome irish man who you will eventually convince to move back to canada, but then he'll die, so you'll go back to ireland and meet another handsome man who happened to be on desperate housewives. and you'll design shoes. if you're lucky. :)

  Natalya Mason Mar 29, 2009 4:35 AM

3

also, i really meant grey's anatomy and not desperate housewives.lol.

  Natalya Mason Mar 29, 2009 4:37 AM

4

I'm so proud of you sammy :).

  lishy Mar 29, 2009 7:26 AM

5

So very proud of you!!! Keep us posted on the fun and not so fun sides of Ireland...lol And photos..we want to see your life in Ireland through your photos...:)
Take care and stay safe!
Love and Prayers
Aunt Shirl

  Aunt Shirl Mar 29, 2009 8:14 AM

About s-culleton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.