Existing Member?

Mishna 'Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves' Henry David Thoreau

Maybe a slight hangover

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 16 September 2007 | Views [717] | Comments [1]

Travelling whilst feeling rough is really a bad idea....especially when you are setting off at 7am and not arriving until 7pm!!!!

We started the journey to the border in a nice air conditioned van so luckily it really wasn't that bad!! After stopping at a few lovely squat toilet service stations and the embassy to get a quick visa, we finally arrived at the border only 2/3 hours from Bangkok.

Arriving into Cambodia you can see a complete contrast to Thailand. Whilst waiting at the passport checkpoint we heard what sounded like a landmine going off, a reminder that this country still has millions of landmines everywhere!

We got on our new bus which I was hoping would have amazing suspension as we had been pre-warned already about the road to Siem Reap. It's not that far but due to the state of the road it can be a 6 - 8 hour journey (mum - it was like the pot hole road you don't like by brough station) It hasn't been fixed as Thailand fear that less people would fly.

Driving over here is definitely interesting, firstly vehicles trying to drive around the pot holes which makes everyone drive on the wrong side. Interestingly (well I thought so), they drive on the left in Thailand and on the right in Cambodia, I forgot to look at the border to see how they changed lanes! 

We passed some of the poorest places on the way to Siem Reap, even so everyone looked happy, especially the children who took great glee in waving at us at every opportunity.

Finally arriving at 7pm I took my first Tuk Tuk ride (hugely fun!!!) into the town for dinner. The town itself is incredibly nice, like a holiday resort, it's a shame more people don't visit!

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hiya Mel! Your brother, sister, sister in-law and nephew were just having a good old giggle at all the Melissa-isms in your blogs! Very funny! Have you come across any Asdas yet!? Ho Hot Hote.....Hotel! Glad you are having a blast, we are very jealous. We are sat here watching The Beach on tv and reading your journal, when did we get so settled?!?

Anyway, take care. Have fun!!

Lots of love xxxx

  Pete, Nicole, Finn and Ella Sep 21, 2007 6:45 AM

About ruudee81


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.